+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HAIR OR FUR? - Readers Cast (Tom Deschaine) - February 21, 2011

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default HAIR OR FUR? - Readers Cast (Tom Deschaine) - February 21, 2011

HAIR OR FUR?

More often than not we use the terms hair and fur interchangeably.*But, is there a real difference? Simply stated, there is no scientific distinction. Having hair or fur is characteristic of being a mammal. The hair of different animals is sometimes given different names like whiskers, bristles, quills, fleece or fur.

Tom:

Great article! I just want to add one little addition.... I know you were speaking about mammels only, yet fowl have hair also!

Feathers (hackle) for all fowl, are also hair. The main stem from which all the barbs protrude from, give the birds protection from the climate changes and ultraviolet rays from the Sun, helping the birds to maintain their body internal body temperture from extreme hot and cold temperatures, are also considered as hair. ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Blog Entries

Thank you Tom,

Great article. I often get that question and must stop and think about it before making an educated guess. Fortunately for most material suppliers hair/fur descriptions have already been defined and have been incorporated into all of our sites. Everytime a new fur/hair becomes available, the question starts all over again.

Tom,

I defer to the same criteria as you, besides, at this point I would have a hard time going into my favorite fly shop and asking for deer fur or moose fur or worst yet, duck fur!, plus I'd never live it down. Fly shop owners can be sooo cruel sometimes - sniff - sniff - snork - blow nose - wipe eyes - pout!

Best regards, Dave S.

+ Reply to Thread