+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FISHING THE WAVE - Product Review - February 21, 2011

Blog Entries

Default FISHING THE WAVE - Product Review - February 21, 2011

FISHING THE WAVE

Recently there has been a string on the Bulletin Board here on FAOL about a new rod design ? The Ultra Wave ? currently being offered by Global dobeR Group. This is a radical rod design that has not one but two curves built into the blank. I?m told that is very close to a natural sine wave. [I have no idea what that means but it must be important]

I became acquainted with the Global dorber group a few years ago. My wife and I were up in the White River area of Arkansas and stopped by to visit. Great group to visit and we came away with rods. I have really enjoyed the rods and it is my wife's go to rod. I will be interested in further reviews on this new one.

This is your second post about this rod, you haven't said if you like it or not.
    It was brought to our club meeting for a show & tell by Dober.

I have heard about it myself...waiting to see it...cant say much until I cast one...I like the idea a lot though

I had the opportunity to test cast it twice at the SowBug roundup, it really excells at dealing with wind, especially dealing with a tailwind or headwind. I was easily able to cast up to 70 feet using a single haul(I still haven't mastered a double haul) with accuracy. I really like how it dealt with a tailwind, I would stop my backcast at about 12 oclock basically performing a steeple cast, something I could never perform in the past. It was also very good at punching a foward cast into the wind. Overall I found it to be a fascinating rod, just plain fun in the wind, I could also feel both sections of the rod load independantly which was suprising and fun. I came away thinking "I gotta get me one of these"

It was also fun having Ray, the proprietor of Global Dorber cast my bamboo rod I had just spent the week prior to SowBug building and having Ray tell me he liked it and thought I did a good job building it!

If you need a rod that allows you to cast at distances in windy conditions and struggle with the timing required for the superfast rods found these days, this is the rod for you.

Wayneb

+ Reply to Thread