+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyeing Furs and Feathers

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question Dyeing Furs and Feathers

During our last snow storm, I decided to re-read Fly Tying related books from my library. I highly recommend A.K. Best's Dyeing and Bleaching Natural Fly Tying Materials. Amazon.com has them used for just about 13 bucks.

It is an easy read and even though written a while ago, the directions are still current and look EASY. I am sure that many Fly Tyers like myself, have all searched for that special color and have been frustrated that our search was unsuccessful.

I hope to have the time some day to experiment. My question is...Who out there does their own dyeing?

I dye pretty much anything i can get my hands on.

here's a recent example. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...-Conranch-rave!!!
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

DaveMac,

Just getting into it myself. I have a taxidermist friend that will be a good source of info for me, as well as having the A.K. Best book you mentioned. It's just one more interesting part of the tying process that you can do, to immerse yourself just a little deeper, into this neat hobby.

hugefish 80 - those are some nice vivid colors - very nice dye job & also - nice fly.

Best regards, Dave S.

Blog Entries

Thank you HughFish - Beautiful dye jobs... ever think about contracting out your services?

I dye feathers and hair. Marabou is more sensitive, don't want to burn off the little fluffs. It is alot of work, but also fun. I use Veniards, Fly dye, Jacquard acid dyes, and a little rit. I don't do black, takes alot of time, heat, vinegar, dye. Anything but black.

Rite Dye, Egg Coloring,or Kool-Aid.
    What is the overall Favorite for Bucktails????

Bass_Bug Guest

hugefish, how about info on the dyeing process?

Gary Borger's "Naturals" has an excellent dying chapter.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

I'm not sure if I am posting in the right forum, if not please move, or tell me where to go,(like that hasn't been done before). I have A.K. Best Dying and Bleaching. But all is with Ritz dye, I don't have easy access to Ritz. So I dye with Kool-Aid.

Does ANYONE have a formula for black.
    I bought a black bucktail, about five years ago, from a fly shop, the hairs are too short for what I use them for. And the thing still smells. I would like to have one good tail that I know will be long enough, so I want to dye my own.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    __

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MSD53X View Post
    I'm not sure if I am posting in the right forum, if not please move, or tell me where to go,(like that hasn't been done before). I have A.K. Best Dying and Bleaching. But all is with Ritz dye, I don't have easy access to Ritz. So I dye with Kool-Aid.

Does ANYONE have a formula for black.
    I bought a black bucktail, about five years ago, from a fly shop, the hairs are too short for what I use them for. And the thing still smells. I would like to have one good tail that I know will be long enough, so I want to dye my own. Any help is greatly appreciated
    __
    I doubt you'd get a good black from any kool-aide combination (but I could be wrong). Rit Dye is available on-line. http://www.ritdye.com/store/colors/black If that's not an option, have you thought about making a "wanted" post in the 'Things Wanted' or the 'For Trade or Barter' Forum's?

+ Reply to Thread