+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tenkara and nymphs?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Tenkara and nymphs?

Thursday and Friday were very warm in south central PA so off I went with my "minimalist" kit of tenkara, tiny Wulffs, tiny Sawyers, and some of my new czech nymphs.

hooked the risers i saw on the little wulffs--not many!

got lots of bites on the sawyer too.

but when i decided, against all advice on this forum, to try a czech nymph rig, it didn't work. i felt several takes, but the ultra flexible top of my Yamame rod didn't allow me to strike properly.

has anyone had better luck or am i doomed to using an indicator and a single nymph if the fish are not rising and the only outfit in the car is the Tenkara?
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

With my Two Tenkara rods I use a double nymph rig with weight and have no problems. Sometimes I will use two beads and weight. I never use a bobber...

Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    With my Two Tenkara rods I use a double nymph rig with weight and have no problems. Sometimes I will use two beads and weight. I never use a bobber...
    What Tenkara rods do you use narcodog? I ask as the Yamame has a 7.3 action and supposedly the most suitable for nymphing from Tenkara USA from what I have read

I have an 11 ft Iwana and a 13 1/2 foot Amago. I have been using the Amago the last few times out as I just got it. I have also been fishin a larger river. The Iwana is for smaller streams.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    the ultra flexible top of my Yamame rod didn't allow me to strike properly.
    The Yamame tip is quite flexible, but the rod stiffens up quickly after that. If you move the rod further as you strike, it will tighten the line enough to set the hook.
    Tenkara Bum

Blog Entries

If you move the rod further as you strike, it will tighten the line enough to set the hook.--CM Stewart
    thankyou! that exaggerated set is what i discovered worked best with dries as well; otherwise, the fish came off right away. the supposed "delicacy" of this kind of fishing might have held me back, maybe. a strong set also could explain narcodog's success--sounds like a determined fisher!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

+ Reply to Thread