+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Although not furling, it does deal with making leaders

Hybrid View

Question Although not furling, it does deal with making leaders

I picked up some small silk lines, leader material and backing from a member of a different forum, with the intention of making leaders out of them. I have 3 wt and 5 wt silk lines and I'm looking to making some leaders for each. I haven't miked any of the materials yet, so I'm just looking for a starting point right now. All of the sites I've found dealing with making leaders was either furling(mono or thread) or knotting(mono). I'm probably going to try my hand at joining them like I would if I was splicing a fly line in this article at Over My Waders. (http://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?splicing)

I guess my questions are as follows:
    What formula would I use? 50-25-25 or 60-20-20 or something else? Is the last portion my tippet or does the tippet go on after that? What sizes should I start and end with?

Those 4 questions should get me started, although any additional advice would be appreciated too.

TIA

Black Co

If this is the incorrect forum for this, could a moderator please move it to the correct one.

Black Co;
    You're in the right place for your post and should get an answer. When you say "50-25-25" are you talking percentages?

I use a 40% 30% 30% but add a little kick to the but section by making my start and end loops 20%. This gives me a 12/10/8/6 taper without any extra pegs. Before anyone jumps me!! Yes it is aactualy a 20% 20% 30% 30% forumla!!

If you're looking for a description to make leaders from braided backing as opposed to furling or knotting see this site. It's in german but the pictures should explain a lot.

Karel

+ Reply to Thread