+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for sunglass suggestions

Default Looking for sunglass suggestions

I seem to have lost my yellow sunglasses. Smith hasn't made them (Lochsa style) for years, and Orvis discontinued the frame style of my gray glasses, so I can't get a different color lens there, either. So it looks like I'm looking for suggestions on new glasses.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    --glass (not polycarbonate) lenses
    --yellow in color.
    --curved lenses for full coverage (aka wrap or semi-wrap)
    --"traditional" eyeglass-style earpieces, not straight or gently curved.
    --suitable for a wide face.

Any suggestions? Cost isn't a factor.

I love my Orvis HVO's glass glasses but they are the Bronze color. One I have also wore for years and you don't hear about is Gargoyles. Nice ear pieces, bullet proof lenses, wrap arounds.

http://www.gargoylesinc.com/technology.html

Check out these guys, they sponsored a film tour here in tow a week or two back and are totally on board with glasses for fishermen. I still have my Smiths and after years of usage there still hangin' in there but I'm starting to look too. I've had a pair of Natives, Okley, Smiths and a few others and by FAR the Smiths have the better scratch resistant glass and polarization. Interested in this new company Costa, but I haven't heard any thing or even tried a pair on. Pretty cool dealer locator to see if anything is near to try on. Let me know if there worth it.

http://www.costadelmar.com/
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by luckie88 View Post
    Check out these guys, they sponsored a film tour here in tow a week or two back and are totally on board with glasses for fishermen. I still have my Smiths and after years of usage there still hangin' in there but I'm starting to look too. I've had a pair of Natives, Okley, Smiths and a few others and by FAR the Smiths have the better scratch resistant glass and polarization. Interested in this new company Costa, but I haven't heard any thing or even tried a pair on. Pretty cool dealer locator to see if anything is near to try on. Let me know if there worth it.

http://www.costadelmar.com/

They are awesome glasses, I had a pair (in the bottom of a local lake now). But Costa is far from being a new company.

Sorry, new to me. Looks like there big with the Salt guys. The Pac NW is a long ways from the Keys.
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Gotcha. I think if I didn't have my Orvis, I would first try the Gargoyles, cause I love the way they fit, second would be the Costa. I already have Smith, and they are good, with fantastic warranty. Hubby wants the Costa bad.

I did a lot of research before I bought mine. I settled on Maui Jim's & would buy them again. Having said that, they certainly aren't the only excellent sunglasses out there. Just my suggestion for another to check out.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

If the price is not an issue I will second ohiotuber on the maui jim's, I bought mine 5 years ago and they're still in great shape. I sent them to Maui Jim Co. for a service and got them back like new. Easy to clean and you can really see the fish.
    Best of luck.
    I believe I can fly fish

Another option is just have a lens place put lenses in a frame. most places carry the popular frames, just have to pay to put glass in them.

I just looked at the Smith Optics website and they show the Lochsa sunglasses in prescription glasses. I didn't look at the non-prescription glasses, so don't know if Lochsa's are available that way also, but I wouldn't know why not.

+ Reply to Thread