+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend (non-FF)

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend (non-FF)

I suspect many of us spend time watching the birds out our windows and on the stream. Here is your chance to help with collecting info on those birds. The Great Backyard Bird Count is this coming weekend. If you can spare 15 minutes or more to see what is coming to your feeder, or is in the bushes along the river, or floating on the back bay of the lake, and can take a minute or two to enter that data on the computer, your help will be greatly appreciated. Last year almost a hundred thousand checklists were entered, totaling more than 11 million birds of 600 species.

And no, you still can't tie flies with those pretty feathers.

For details, visit http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/

Thanks in advance.

Dennis
    Trout bum / birder

(takes off his Audubon hat and puts the fishy one back on)

I have been doing this for years. It's easy and a real help to scientist. This 4 day event bring tons of data no group of scientist can collect alone. You don't have to count all 4 days.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I am quite sure I could afford better fishing tackle and eat better if I had not gotten my wife turned on to feeding the birds. I am sure she will want to play along and I will enter the data for her. It looks like a great weekend to count birds in GA, I am thinking of trying to count some fish instead.

At this moment 2-cardinals, 1 carolina wren; 1-junco; 1-sparrow; 1 chickadee; 1 mourning dove; from my office window.

The 3 of us are located east, west and central USA, it would be interesting to me to do a tally from each of our viewing area, ie. I will show you mine if you will show me yours.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 02-18-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I left for work an hour early on Friday so I could hit one of my favorite spots on the Potomac River, looking for a big waterfowl score. Didn't get the variety I was hoping for but saw a bunch of buffleheads and a good number of hooded mergansers; also a number of yellow-bellied sapsuckers and brown creepers on the trail along the river. The backyard count had the usual suspects - cardinals, blue jays, juncos, finches (house and gold), chicadees, titmouse (mice?), wrens, etc. So far today, we've had a sharp-shin hawk, too.

Regards,
    Scott

My feeders are full I will spend the morning tomorrow with a check list. What do we count squirrels as??
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Quote Originally Posted by steveks View Post
    What do we count squirrels as??
    Stewmeat, winging & dubbing material

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread