+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Conranch rave!!!

Default A Conranch rave!!!

A while back I had an idea for a few big bass/pike flies that were like a wool head only used alpaca that I have been dyeing lately for the heads. I knew that I didn't have the kind of hackle that I was looking for to make the tails out of so I dropped Denny an email at Denny@conranch.com. I gave him a brief description of what type of feathers I was looking for and what I intended to do with them and received a nearly immediate reply that he would check his stock to see what he had that would suit my needs. The next morning there was an email in my inbox describing my choices. I made my selection, went to work and when I got home a couple days later was greeted by a large box with my saddles in it.

This is one of the saddles that hasn't been dyed yet

The saddles that Denny had selected were perfect for what I wanted, exactly what I had asked for. Since this whole thing was an experiment, I cut the first saddle into 5 pieces. Each of these sections were to be dyed a different color.
    Here's what I got...

And here's what I tied with it!

I would just like to thank Conranch for the excellent customer service that I received, and recommend that everyone checks out Conranch.com the next time that they need hackle, especially if it is for a special application.

Fish

DISCLAIMER: I am not associated with Conranch in any way other than being a very satisfied repeat customer. I get no kickback, no free stuff, am not related to the Conrads by blood or marriage, nor am I about to be. Conranch just sells a heck of a product.
    Last edited by hugefish_80; 02-17-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: they are saddles not capes...
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Kudos to Denny Conranch!

By the way.......very nice job on your dyed saddles and bass fly!

Yes I agree, very nice looking saddle and fantastic dyeing job...
    oh and add the well done tied fly..
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

I chatted with Denny about their JV Hen necks prior to getting mine, and he was even kind enough to hold mine for a short period. It was a Cree neck, and the nicest hen neck in my bench. Excellent service and excellent hackles!

Denny always does GOOD!
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Been a satisfied customer for a long time. Denny goes way beyond when it comes to service to us tiers.

Hughfish

I wish I could dye feathers like that LOL, Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Denny = Awesomesauce. I'm spoiled will only tie with Denny's hackle now. He has the best ive ever used. Thought I haven't tried dying them but after seeing your dye job I'll have to try it.

Denny is my "Go To Guy" for most of my hackle in fly tying, I only go to other sources when I cannot get it from Denny!

I started purchasing most of my hackle, from Conranch Hackle, when Conranch became a sponsor on FAOL, and suppled the FAOL Texas Regional Fish-In, with ungraded capes to use for tying fly patterns in Sattler TX, and at the end of the weekend the capes were cut in half and everyone who what one got a cape to take home. He also sent some of his graded capes to the Texas Fish-In, so that members of FAOL, could see the quality of his for sale capes....

Over the years talking with Denny on the phone, emails, and in person at the FAOL Idaho Fish-In, I have gotten to know Denny quite well...

His operation is small in comparison to some of the other major players in the Fly Tying Material Game, he does not sell to retail outlets, and his grading system is different to everyone elses.

Grades #1, #2, #3 are the same top quality. The grade number has to do with the amount of usable hackles in the main hackle zone that the tyier is looking for.

Denny has been willing to grow a rooster to the 3 hackle size range you are needing.

Denny has broke the "Cree Code" with the help of his daughter Elizabeth "Liz" who keeps the records of all of his various chicken families, traced back the ancestry of the Cree that came about in a brood of "Barred Ginger" by going back thorough the history of various generations for that Cree.

That is how Denny does it! Not by dying capes, but through selective breeding, a rooster from one family to a hen from another family that he is able to produce all the various hackle shades including "Rusty Dun" and "Cree" just to name a few! This done with the computer records of the various families of chickens he works with.

Another amazing thing about Conranch Hackle that I learned from Al Campbell, Conranch rooster hackle stems, flattens when wrapped around the hook shank!

Post Script:

It was my idea that I posted on the FAOL bulletin board, I beat-out Grizzlies post by about two minutes, that created the "Regional FAOL Fish-In's"! Until then there was only one Annual FAOL Fish-In per year.... ~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 02-20-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Fantastic tie and cheers to conranch.Liked the alpaca

Fantastic looking fly! Thanks for sharing.

+ Reply to Thread