+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radiculopathy

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Radiculopathy

Was given a shot again today for numbness in my thighs due my back problem. The title of the post is what the doctor told me I had.

Doctors use the term radiculopathy to specifically describe pain, and other symptoms like numbness, tingling, and weakness in your arms or legs that are caused by a problem with your nerve roots

Treatment
    Your doctor will be able to discuss with you what your diagnosis means in terms of treatment options. For most people who do not have evidence of nerve root compression with muscle weakness, the first line of therapy includes non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, rest, and physical therapy. A soft back brace or lumbar support is often prescribed in order to allow the back to have a chance to rest.

Surgery for radiculopathy is offered as an early option for people who have evidence of muscle weakness that is being caused by nerve root compression. This is because muscle weakness is a definite sign that the nerves are being injured (more seriously than when pain is the only symptom) and relieving the pressure on the nerves can be more of a priority. In most other situations, surgery is offered only after physical therapy, rest, and medications have failed to adequately relieve the symptoms of pain, numbness and weakness over a significant period of time

http://www.back.com/symptoms-radiculopathy.html

Ouch, sorry for your dilemma and resultant challenges. After two back surgeries mine settled in my feet with neuropathy which has led to a variety of other problems, one being the ankle surgery I'm currently recovering from. Truly, I feel for you, brother.

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 02-17-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

nighthawk Guest

I am with you in this. Literally. I just had this same conversation with my doctor yesterday. My problem also extends to the thoracic back in addition to all five lumbar disks L1-L2 through L5-S1. I am looking at more MRI's, shots, physical therapy but with the additional damage further up the spine any surgery would probably involve reinforcing the entire spine. We are talking disability retirement at mid 40's to early 50's age wise.

If I run the stand up warehouse tug too long at work my thighs go numb like being out in the cold too long, my knees buckle and the neuralgia in my feet from my diabetes gets much worse.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Blog Entries

Family doctor told me give the shot 2 days to kick in.

say if doesn't stop numbness in legs he will refer me to a neurosurgeon

for possible lower back surgery.

don't jump to the surgery option automatically. I've got three wrecked discs in my back from injuries in my military career and a few years ago was looking at the surgical option for pain management. Lower and upper back. Obviously all cases are different, but the doctors I talked to said - largely depending on age, I was still under 40 - that twenty years down the road people who have had surgery to relieve radiculopathy are statistically in the same condition as those who DIDN'T have the surgery but sought other options such as phys therapy, stretching, exercise, etc. yes it's a b***ch and I deal with a lot of pain, numbness, tingling, but I also have a great full time second career and can do MOST of the things I want to do. Now if I could just get on that whole "mid 40's early 50's retirement" thing, I could go fishing.

Blog Entries

my back pain has been around for 18 years. my left leg was non-functional about a week ago.
    No wheel chair any time soon for this boy. I placed myself on a radical diet and plan on losing 80 pounds.
    If that doesn't help then i will be ok with surgery. September 30th is my check in to surgery date because
    that is the last day of trout season every year and i would have 5 months to mend.

+ Reply to Thread