I'm not a seasoned trout fisherman by any means. Most of my experience with a fly rod for trout comes out of Kansas with a spattering of Colorado trips. I mostly fish our local stream for stocked fish with a nymph and a small indicator. I catch most of my fish within 20 feet. Sometimes there is a very aggressive strike, and sometimes it is extremely subtle and hard to detect even up close. If I get out past 25' or so, I know I'd miss about half of the takes. Do you find yourselves fishing closer when nymphing for that reason? Or is there some technique that I'm missing to help out here? It seems to me that I can easily outcast my effective fishing range with about any rod I own.I can fish farther with dries and terrestrial because you can see what's going on there, but I'm finding for my nymphing, I really am getting to prefer a shorter rod in a lighter weight that can present the fly more accurately and softly up close. In fact, my largest trout ever came a couple of weeks ago from about 15' out on a 6'6" 2 weight and a number 14 PTN under an indicator. Now for warm water and other fishing, it usually is different and I will go with a longer rod. I think I'm starting to justify why I need different length rods in the same weight. Am I off base with my conclusions here, or am I missing something?