+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CDC tying tip ....

Default CDC tying tip ....

I was messing around last week with some CDC, tying comparaduns, and having fun. I got to thinking about keeping the profile of the fly slim ..... tough to do when using CDC as it tends to bulk up at the tie in point. I then had a good idea. Why not strip off a suitable amount of CDC from the stem, lay it on the hook, hold it in place with two medium wraps, manipulate it so as to tie it in "spinner" style, make two figure eight wraps, pull up the cdcm make four tight wraps at very bottom of base, and dub thorax area while pulling cdc upward, then trim wing to size. Whaddya know .... it worked. I really like the slimmer profile, and now tying sz22 comparaduns is not nearly as daunting. I use this method when using snowshoe as well. You may know this little trick, but in the event you didn't, give it a try. You might like it.

Similar to the way I tie in all my parachute posts, regardless of material. Spinner style, then post it up as opposed to tying in lengthwise on the shank. You're right, very slim profile.

Okay guys... I'm not understanding "spinner" style... You got a picture you can Post?

Mahanvey, tie in the material at a right anlge to the hookd shank forming a cross and then stand it up to make the post.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Mahanvey, if you're still not picturing it in your minds eye, this tutorial shows it.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=32

A fellow showed me this technique a couple of years ago at a fly tying get together. I was using snowshoe hares feet at that point. When I look at cdc comparaduns in fly shops most have a really small thorax and I've never been able to figure out how they tied the entire fly profile so thin. I simply thought of tying in the cdc like the snowshoe and it worked. I have been on Charlie Craven's web site several times and his tutorials are wonderful. I've always had a great appreciation for his willingness to share with everyone some of his ideas and tying tips. In a similar vein, I have found the same kind of people on this forum who have shared an immense amount of knowledge regarding tying and fishing. Thanks again to all of you.

OH... Make a post! I got it now!

+ Reply to Thread