+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pill box storage box

Normand Guest

Default pill box storage box

i am positive this has been thought of before.

i was walking through walmart looking for some multivitamins, when i spied out of the corner of my eye a 7 day pill storage box that would make a great fly tying hook or bead storage box. add a few labels to cover up the days of the week and off you go! this box has small levers that you push down to open the compartment and the inside has a curved bottom. 28 compartments. the underside of the box has 4 rubber feet to prevent sliding.

thanks for looking

Great minds....I have looked at those boxes many times with similar thoughts.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Only because I tie hundreds of small dries and standard nymphs/soft hackle throughout the year. I have about 4 of those full of my most commonly used hooks, great idea and they do work well, the ones I have look a bit bigger than those pictured (not too sure where I bought them) they will hold about 500 #10 standard dry hooks per compartment (that translates to about 1000+ #16 standard dry hooks).

Steve

I don't tie as many as Steve, but I use the smaller pill cases. I like being able to write on them. I didn't shell the $$ on the stickers, I just used an exacto on the raised letters and braille, and wrote on the box. Stickers are a much better idear. They are easy to carry, but if you don't get the locking boxes, cut the finger tabs off. they stick over the edge, and get caught on EVERYTHING AND COME OPEN!! Loose hooks = bad idear.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Much prefer to keep hooks in either soft boxes or original plastic bags. Same is true with beads. Let's say you drop either on a hard surface. What will happen? Now try the same with a pill box. Results will not always be the same. Add to this the fact that any pillbox is going to take up more room in the tying kit than the usual plastic bags, and I never quite understood why someone would want to go this route. YMMV.

Normand Guest

the box i bought didnt have the raised lettering and i didnt want to butcher it trying to scrape off the printed letters (believe me i would have. remember edward scissorhands?) so i used the high dollar stickers (.0028 cents per label) to mark each compartment

i'm just showing an option in storing whatever you want to store. everybody's preferences are different (or better) and you should use whatever works for you
    Last edited by Normand; 02-15-2011 at 09:58 PM.

I think that is a spendid way to store hooks, Normand. (Seeing as how I do something similar - patting us both on the back!)

My wife bought me an inexpensive carrying case at Michaels (or similar craft store) that was filled with plastic boxes, very similar to your pill boxes. I label one box on it's side as "dry fly", another as "wet fly", a 3rd as "streamer", and so on. These boxes fit sidewise in the carrying case, so when I unzipper the case I can immediately see the specific box I may want.

Then, I label each compartment within the case with the hook style and size, going from left to right across the box with the hook sizes in sequence.

You'd be amazed at how many tens of thousands of hooks you can carry in such a small space, yet be able to put your fingur on exactly the right hook within seconds.

I have used the type that are just a single row, for dubbing dispensers. Drill a quarter inch hole in the bottom of each unit. Fill the compartments with whatever dubbing you want and it is really easy and convenient to transport. Get one for wet flies and nymphs and one for drys.

I've got a bunch of different 'pill boxes' for hook and fly storage.

Great for hooks. Since the bags my hooks come in are a bit unwieldy, I need a way to separate them into manageable quantities.

I just buy some of that adhesive backed magnetic tape and stick a small piece in the bottom of each compartment. Hooks won't fall out.

I found a set of seven small boxes at the dollar store, each was labeled with a day of the week and each had three compartments: morning, noon, night. One of the three was larger (don't recall which, but it doesn't matter). Made great little fly boxes..you could get a couple dozen nymphs or dries in each of the smaller compartments, and the larger one would hold a doxen small streamers or 'buggers. Fit three of them easily into a shirt pocket. At 7 for a buck, I should have bought more of them.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Good stuff Normand. I've been using this system for beads and hooks for a while. Like Buddy, I found a 7-pack with four compartments (snap lids) and they are very, very handy. You can easily fit 3 in your shirt pocket without any bulk. I use them mostly for midges and small dry flies. Good tip; thanks for sharing.

+ Reply to Thread