+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Hawk Stripping Platform

Default Freedom Hawk Stripping Platform

works great and is very easy to instal or remove...weighs under 4oz...company ready to test it out plus test the market with them...giving price this week for order of 12-24...I am going to rule the tarpon with this

Very Cool Cordell....How much is a new and a used price For the canoes with the stripping platform????
    I want one.

I have no idea what the kayaks sell for used...the stripping platfrom cost about $5 to make once you get the stuff and it weighs about 4oz...looking for small triangles to add for "fingers" to add wind protection for the loops

My wife are recent owners of 12 foot Freedom Hawk Kayaks and are having a blast fishing here in the Cocoa Beach Florida area. We will be returning to Washington State in the spring, along with the Yaks and like what you're doing with the stripping nets. Is it possible you can let me know how/what you're using to construct the nets.
    I also have a question about rust/corrosion of the metal parts on these boats. What are the metal parts made of?? It appears to be aluminum--I hope. I am thinking of designing a better rail attachment system for quicker more secure attachments of the two pieces of the leaning rail. Have you noticed any areas of corrosion on these boats. I have sprayed the metal parts with a preservative to delay the corrisive action of saltwater--but have only had the boats for a month--so I don't have much experience with them yet.
    Any advice on these boats would be helpful.

the parts are aluminum and corrosion resistant...as a guide I use the heck out of mine at times and I must confess that I wash maybe 1 time a yr if lucky and bored...the black paint can/will come off of the rear bracket on the 14ft model...it comes off in 1 piece like there is a chemical reaction between it and the paint over time...that being said it is still OK...the part is shiny and the paint was purely for looks anyway...mine get heavy saltwater use also...the leaning rail on the 12ft is different than the 14ft which is a 1pc...I just pulled it together really tight and then electrical taped the securing strap tight to keep my flyline from going into the adjustment buckle as you can see from the picture...it is secure and still very tight but I really dont use the bar much except to hold my platform...the stripping platforms are just PVC and plastic fence...however, recent developements keep me from divulging all the secrets lol...just copy the pictures OR wait just a little more because I am sending Freedom Hawk one this week to test and giving price for 24 at a time for resale

Cool! I got the FH12 model last year. Its ok but still needs a lot to be desired and the stripping platform or basket is one of them. You would think velcro tabs would work for that stripping platform?
    Last edited by Flyfish Dog; 02-17-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

That's a cool contraption and looks like a winner. Thanks for sharing.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

tried to send a platform to Freedom Hawk yesyerday after tweeking it for a while...almost fell out when they wanted $100 to mail it...I guess the overall measurements add up to big $$$ even though it is extremely lite...just I will check UPS...ended up adding tie spraps for line/wind tamers for paddling against the wind...also I ended up changing the mounting and framework a tad to prevent line snagging potential...finally I added a paddle/pushpole holder so I wont lose a second putting the paddle away and grabbing the rod which will be ready in place...the wind is perfect for standing and drifting so the paddle rarely gets used once you start casting...I will put small section of a water weenie on the upturned paddle brackets to dampen the sound andkeep things tight...

Cool idea! I am going to have some angle tube pieces made to use fiberglass tent poles for my net which should reduce weight and bulkiness.

that plastic fence is very lite and indestructable...I got it at Home Depot..its called poultry fence and its about $20 for a roll...you have to buy the entire roll but oh well...it also helps to hold zip ties in place without snagging issue...the line cant fit to snag up on the bottom side where the locking end is...I secured the PVC bar to the standup bar with simple 1/2 EMT straps and a self tapping screw and painted black...the water weenie will dampen any vibrations or sound and it will secure a pushpole just the same...the goal is to see a fish and be able to put everything aside and take your shot without taking your eyes off the fish and getting it done in under 3 seconds for bones and permit...I left the upturned post unglued so they can twist to adjust to size of the paddle/pushpole, thats why the water weenie section will seal the deal...going out peacock fishing for 2-3 days this coming week and expect great things...
    Last edited by bonefishwhisperer; 03-09-2011 at 01:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread