+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portland Fishing

Default Portland Fishing

I will be travelling to Portland next week and am wondering about fishing opportunites close to the city. I will have about 3 hours tops to wet a line. I am looking for either small streams for brookies or anything that swims in warmwater like largemouth, panfish, carp, etc. I know about the steelhead fishing, but it's not my bag.

Lou

Lou, post your question on [url=http://www.westfly.com:ea81b]http://www.westfly.com[/url:ea81b] on the Oregon forum. Lotsa folks from Portland post there.

I formerly lived in PDX and fished OR and the west extensively. I do not foresee you being able to "wet a line" for trout within a 3 hour period. I don't know that there is a brookie in OR, and can not think of any warm water opportunities near the city. The closest fishing to the city is for steelhead, and the park on the Sandy River comes to mind as the closest bank fishing for that. It takes about 1.5 hour and more to all the better trout spots.

Go to Esparza's and enjoy the Tex-Mex, Pambiche to enjoy the Cuban, or to Gino's to get some pretty good Italian at a modest price. Or, go out to Tigard and visit Kaufmann's fly shop.

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 04 March 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 04 March 2005).]

I also have fished the Sandy for Steelhead (unsuccessfully) but don't know of any better spots closer to town. The Clackamas near Carver is closer to town, but its not as well know for Steelhead.

As for food, go eat at a Gustav's. There's one in Clackamas near the river as well. There's two others around Portland also. Best German food I know of and great beer selection as well. I really wish they were a nationwide chain, I miss that place.

I'll also recommend Mickey Finn's Brew Pub
    4336 S.E. Woodstock Blvd., Portland, Oregon
    Tel: (503) 788-6073. It really is named after the fly and is included in their logo. Lots of non-cheesy fishing decor as well. Their selection of Oregon micro-brews is OUTSTANDING!!!

There are many sloughs around Portland with good warm water fishing but I haven't done that since pre-school days. You might ask a local fishing shop.

Don't miss Jake's Grill in Portland. They speak flyfishing and are a sponsor here. GREAT food.

I live in Portland and have not had any luck on the warmwater fish as of late. I am not much of a warmwater fisherman though, so I am not the right person to judge by. If it were later in the year small stream cutts might be an option, but all is closed right now. I wish I could help you more, but I usually head east to fish.

Adam

If you need someone to eat dinner with drop me an email and maybe we could work things out.

------------------
    vox clamantis in deserto

Lou, man you really need a day's vacation. All work , no play , yada yada . Hit the Deshutes if at all possible. It's about 2 1/2 hours from Portland to Maupin and considered a blue ribbon river. It's not an easy river to fish, but very senic and full of large trout.

------------------
    Life is like a fly swap...You never know what your going to get.

Lou-Since you are from NJ, and you are in Portland on Biz and only have 3 hours to fish-will it really be worth it to purchase a out-of-state license and then lug your gear out there? Hmmmm....

If I only had 3 hours to burn there, I'd head down to Sandy, Or-not far from Portland at all (minutes away), and just hang around the public launch ramps and check out what is happening; talk to the locals, the guides on the river when they dock, see their catchs etc. Take some good binocs and watch them out on the mighty Columbia. Great big river with lots to see.

Better yet-If you drive upriver to Boneville Dam (Takes an hour?)-you can go below to watch all of the fish swim by the ladders through the glass windows in the spillways. That is awesome to see. You may be able to watch the Sturgeon anglers in the rapids below the dam too.

Buy a license for three hours? Naw...Just go take in the local scene and come back and give it a go when you have more time...
    My 4.5 cents..

Rich

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am here in Portland looking out my hotel window at the Willamette River. I didn't really have time to pack the gear and it would indeed be very rushed fishing and that isn't all much fun.

Helicopsyche, thanks for the offer on dinner, but I am in town for a Pharmaceutical dinner meeting so I will be tied up.

BTW, Oregon is an awesome state. The scenery from the plane was very cool.

Thanks again.

Lou

+ Reply to Thread