+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Redear

Hybrid View

Default Redear

Does anyone here catch very many redears on the fly? I've been looking into a few places that have them stocked here in Kansas, but have never specifically targeted them. Anyone got some tips?
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

Zac,
    I catch quite a few redears in Lake Pawhuska on the same flies that I use for bluegills. Jim Hatch told me that the redears where he fishes in South Carolina hit scuds better than the flies that he uses for bluegill, so that may be worth a try.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

They are on my list, Zac! I caught something this year that was either a female redear, or a hybrid redear... still looking for a bonafide pure redear.

I've heard small nymph or scud patterns under indicators near the bottom work well. Obviously the spawning season would be the best time to find them in a predictable, accessible location (in the shallows near shore), otherwise, they are often in deeper water. Later in the season, look near the deep side of weed eges.

In the archived panfish articles on FAOL, there was a guy (his name escapes me at the moment) who would fly fish from a canoe (not Rick Z), and catch redears mixed in with the bluegills... even on dry flies.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I catch a lot of them in WV and are a blast. They have beautiful colors on them when spawning.

That somebody Dave, was/is Joe Hyde.

Thanks for the tips so far. I caught my first few redears last year while fishing with some FAOL folks, while we were catching gills.
    Steve, I was thinking that little woven nymph or something similar might be pretty good. I'll have to tie up some scuds and try 'em out!

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread