+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colleges and Fly Fishing

Default Colleges and Fly Fishing

I am looking for a school that I can go to that has good fly fishing in or near it. I am planning on majoring in biology or engineering. Some of the schools that I have been looking at are Penn State, Montana State, and University of Colorado but does anybody else have any other ideas?
    Camo Hats!

University of Arkansas has a killer Engineering dept. Some great warm and cold water fly fishing as well as a fly fishing club.

Beyond that I am not help.
    Arkansas State Coordinator for Reel Recovery
    Board Member of Fly Fishing Federation Southern Council

There are several colleges in western NC; I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to become a Vol but the Univ. of Tennessee is a large college that will be near some decent fishing. Any of the SEC schools will have warm water fishing near by if you do a little looking and ask permission. I live in metro Atlanta and have access to 6 private lakes, the Chattahoochee River for trout and a bunch of public lakes. Ga Tech has a pretty good engineering school I understand.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Michigan Tech for engineering. In the Northern U.P. with very good brookie fishing a bit to the South.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Pretty much any college in the country will have good fly fishing nearby. Or are you looking for good trout fishing?

Umass in western mass has many trout rivers within short distance. Plus Vermont is right up the road. Great engineering and science. Programs.. And the conneticut river is minutes away.

And what's wrong with Penn State at College Station PA? Not too far from Flyfishermans Paradise and about a million miles of trout streams. I have NO clue as to their Engineering department BUT what's not great about graduating a Nitney Lion ( whatevertheheck THAT is).

Mark
    PS: And then again, there UW in Laramiw WY. I'm not sure of the Bio or Eng Depts but for sure, you'd be in some kinda ( other) Flyfishermans Paradise.
    Last edited by Marco; 02-11-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Forgot ( sinfully, mea culpa) MY Alma Mater.

Quote Originally Posted by zhoyt View Post
    University of Arkansas has a killer Engineering dept. Some great warm and cold water fly fishing as well as a fly fishing club. Beyond that I am not help.
    But do you really want a pig for a mascot? Although it is probably the school safest from muslim terrorist.

I'm sorry Z I couldn't resist teasing a fellow SEC fan.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Drew:
    You are going to spend 4 years of your life in school and get an education that will be a big factor in determining your success for the rest of your life. After 40 years in academics my advice is simple. Go to the best university you can get into and afford. If you want to do engineering and have the horse power then go to one of the top 25 engineering colleges. With a quality degree you can go where you want and do what you want. With a class B degree from a lesser university your options will be more limited. Penn State, Wisconsin, Cornell, Michigan - they are all top 25 Engineering schools that are close to good fly fishing.
    David

As others have said, go to the best school you can get into. Pick a college that has the best program and faculty for what you want to study, that's the real reason you are there. If you are really good at whatever you wind up doing, you'll have plenty of time to fish.

That said: Rensselaer (battenkill & swift) and Lehigh (limestoners)

+ Reply to Thread