+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Wood from "Official" State Trees

Default OT: Wood from "Official" State Trees

I'm going to give this a shot. I know this isn't a woodworking forum but we have so many helpful folks from all over the country here it's worth a try.

Our local woodturning club is beginning a "group project" this year. We would like to get a sample of wood from each of the 50 "official" state trees. We will then distribute this wood to various members and he or she will turn a small item from this wood.

At the present time we have wood from the following "official" state trees:

Alaska
    California
    Colorado
    Delaware
    Georgia
    Iowa
    Massachusetts
    Maine
    Maryland
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    New York
    North Dakota
    Pennsylvania
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin

If there are any of you who might be able to lay your hands on s sample of wood from any of the other state trees, particularly from the state where you live we would be interested in having you send us a sample. Size does not really matter. Some of our items will be very small. Others may be larger but we will work with any size piece of wood from your state tree that you are willing to send us.

If necessary, we would be willing to reimburse you for your shipping cost. If you can help us out please reply with a private message and we will make the shipping arrangements.

Thanks. We look forward to hearing from you.

Royce Meritt
    Siouxland Woodturners
    Harrisburg, SD

Royce, it should be easy to get one of Wyomings' the plains cottonwood. That said, I had to look it up , I didn't know what our tree was!!
    I am not sure if they are the same, but we have cottonless cottonwoods at the ranch and quite a pile in the scrape place. Let me know if this would work and I will send some.
    Byron
    Wyo-Blizzard

kansas is cottonwood too. we happen to have an old growth cottonwood in our yard. tell me what size y'all need.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Zuehlsdorff View Post
    Royce, it should be easy to get one of Wyomings' the plains cottonwood. That said, I had to look it up , I didn't know what our tree was!!
    I am not sure if they are the same, but we have cottonless cottonwoods at the ranch and quite a pile in the scrape place. Let me know if this would work and I will send some.
    Byron
    Thanks Bryon. Sent you a PM.

By the way, I finally made it to Wyoming fishing last summer. I have a good friend who grew up in Lander. He has been trying for years to get me to go back with him and finally got it accomplished. Caught a lot of fish. Some of the smaller water we fished seemed to be over populated with small brookies but had a lot of fun.

Royce

I noticed Alabama and Arkansas were different varieties of pine. Grab a 2 x 4 at Home Depot, the Yellow Brand treated is almost guaranteed to be Alabama.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

That's an interesting project, Royce.

I'm in PA now, where I see you already have a sample of the state tree, Hemlock. Back in the 1800's, before the loggers clear-cut their way across the northern tier of PA, the forests were filled with hugh virgin Hemlock trees, many of which had 6'-8' diameters near the base. Lots of those trees were cut down for their bark only, which was used for tanning, and the rest of the tree was left to rot on the ground.

I wonder how the various states originally selected their state trees? Looking at the complete state list, I'm surprised there are so many duplicates (such as Sugar Maple, for example), while others (such as Black Cherry) that seem to me to be noteworthy are not included at all.

John

I thought of doing this once, and making a map of the USA
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Ohio's is the Buckeye tree. I don't know where any are right off hand, but I'm off until Tuesday & will check. If I can find any Buckeye wood, I'll PM you for your address & send it your way.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Well Kentucky's State tree is the Tulip Poplar, I happen to work at a scale house for a paper mill, I'll ask around next week and see if I can't get a chunk for you.

Mark k

Should be able to go to Lowes or HD for Oregon's douglas fir.

+ Reply to Thread