+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Susquehanna River Water Gap

Hybrid View

nighthawk Guest

Default Susquehanna River Water Gap

At Liverpool, Perry County, Penns Woods:

The Susquehanna River is the oldest or second oldest system on the planet. She predates the mountains through which she flows by over 300 million years. That means she was there before Pangaea broke up and formed the Atlantic Ocean. At 444 miles in length she is the longest river without commercial traffic in the continental United States.

Personally I think she is just darned pretty but then I am biased toward her!

Nighthawk,
    I agree.Many enchanting hours on the river

Oh how I miss the glory days of a few years ago on the river, days when catching 100 fish was easy.

Years when I would drive 1.5 hours each way, climbing over motionless freight trains hoping they wouldn't lurch, just to get to her banks to fish for an hour.

There were warmer years when I was still standing in the middle of the Suskie, in the middle of December. There were cool dark August nights fishing long past midnight when the sound of a passing train was all you would hear and there was wet wading on hot summer days, watching the bald eagles soaring overhead.

I haven't fished her since 2008 after more than a few years of serious decline. I said I give her 5 years, figuring she needed a break, time to heal, time for the bass to come back to the levels that made her as spectacular to fish, as to just behold.

I hope it doesn't take much longer!

nighthawk Guest

Bamboozle,
    I will put up a post about the new regs on the Susquehanna and Juniata. Used to be I would fish for half an hour and stop counting the smallies at 50 and anything less than 15 inches. hey don't give up on the walleye and muskies though. Plenty of them in those waters.

Eric,
    I have never fished it, but the Susquehanna was most likely the first legendary river I read about as a kid. As you know, that's going back to the 1950s.
    She's still on my short list/bucket list to fish for smallies.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread