+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a click and pawl reel

Default Suggestions for a click and pawl reel

I am looking to buy a click and pawl reel for my 5 wt rod. I don't want to spend more than $350 for both a reel and extra spool. Any suggestions on makes and models is greatly appreciated?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

You can still find the Abel TR reels on closeout deals on ebay and other places. That's the only way I was able to afford an Abel. Check them out.

Orvis CFO III. If you can find an older one, so much the better.

I should make it clear that I am not necessarily in the market for a $350 reel/spool. Less expensive is fine as well. I am just wanting to find a quality click and pawl reel.

Thanks.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Rev Bob,

I have been looking into the Abel TR reels to complement my Abel Big Game. The Big Game at times is more reel than I need and a nice quality click and pawl will fit the bill nicely.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I agree with the others: Able TR, Orvis CFO (Older style) or if you can find a Ross Colorado.

I have an older Sys 1 (456) it is not nearly the quality of the Orivs Battenkill (discontinued) and a long ways from the Orvis CFO (also discontinued). I love the sound of the CFO.

The only Medalist that is click/pawl is the 1492, the smallest with a spool diameter of just under 3". You would be hard pressed to find a USA made one for $25, I watched a pretty beat up one, square line guard, Akron made go on ebay the other day for $88.

I seems new clicker reels are getting scarse as more and more companies drop them from their line. What a shame as many of us like them,

I would go to ebay....you can find almost anything there.

I gotta start proof reading this stuff before I hit the submit botton

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 06 April 2006).]

Lots of JW Young reels around for anywhere from $60.00 to $160.00. Most will be 40 to 60 years old but the quality is high. Only drawback - spare spools are almost none existant and not quick to change. Look on ebay.

The TFO MK I reel is a fantastic reel but it would be pushing the $300 range to get a spare spool with the reel.

Have a look at some of the less expensive brands like Okuma, SA, Martin and others.

They might not be a "status symbol" brand but they are good performer for the money. If you are like most people then your reel won't be anything other than a fancy line holder anyway.

------------------
    Jamie

[url=http://www.jamiescustomflies.com:ed12d]Jamie's Tackle Shop[/url:ed12d]

[IMG] [url=http://www.abelreels.com/images/Reels/reel-creek-fr283.gif:5be5b]http://www.abelreels.com/images/Reels/reel-creek-fr283.gif[/url:5be5b] [/IMG]

I have this reel. I like it. It's in your price range at $275. It's classy and functional. Lightweight, and avalible in large or standard arbor. I wouldn't even post anything about it if you hadn't said you're willing to drop $350 on a click pawl reel. You will find no finer for the $$.

+ Reply to Thread