ScottP/John Scott,

Could you explain to me the difference between a slough and the normal braiding that a stream or river takes to occupy all the area in its plain that is at the same contour or lower contour? In other words a stream/river occupies a given space because the topography allows it to. A "side channel" is just the far bank, with higher topography between it and the "main" channel. If something happens (flood/hurricane etc.) to the side channel (slough?), who says because you've taken it upon yourself (is this legal?) to put your money and effort into returning (Mitchell) slough to it's original(?) condition, that you now own it?( is this the case? - I'm asking?) Groups like Trout Unlimited, put their time and money into hundreds of miles of creeks, rivers, and streams every year, but don't own any of them, and it's for everyones benefit - free of charge! There are quite a few of these side-channels (sloughs) on the Yellowstone, and it perplexes me as to how someone other than the public can own them. My home stream here in Penna. is Penns Creek. This creek has channel braiding in many, many places, as well as the Susquehanna River. It would be a nightmare, if individuals were to claim ownership of all the different side-channels!!! Is this practice legal in Montana? In many states, you can't alter, improve, divert, fix etc., a waterway/wetland without permission from the agencies tasked to address these things, in any way, shape or form, no matter what YOU think your good intentions are! All of my questions may be moot, if a slough is not even a side-channel!
Remember, I'm just inquiring about a stream ownership situation that is foreign to me, this is not meant to be an indictment. I have, and hope to in the future, visit Montana, and do my part to contribute to its economy! It is without a doubt, a beautiful state!! (btw- I don't know what was or wasn't done on Mitchell slough, I just used the name because it is a slough - nothing more)

Best regards, Dave S.