+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North Umpqua guided trip? Recommendations?

Hybrid View

Default North Umpqua guided trip? Recommendations?

In by email:

Hi Deanna,

My friend and I are researching rivers to fish and looking for some remote areas with large fish. So far we pretty much had it pinned to to either the Green River in eastern Utah, the Wind River Range (indian reservation stretch of water) and the Owyhee River, but then I found the North Umpqua. This river looks awesome and the scenery is amazing. My buddy and I have fly fished for about 7 years now but have never fished for steelhead. After reading about this river it sounds like an exciting challenge.

We are looking to do a 2 full days of guided float trips and then do another 3 days on our own. What are the real challenges with this river...casting techniques, matching a specific hatch, river access?

Is it possible to do a self guided rafting trip down this river or are the rapids very technical? We have never fished north or west of Colorado so trying to explore new areas. Our initial goal was to find a river that is not extremely crowded and that averages fish in the 14 to 17 in range-the above rivers seem to do so but whats the story with the North Umpqua?

I also noticed there are trails--is this a river that can be hiked/camped or an available llama pack in trip--is that an option?

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the great info on your website it really helps with somewhat understand the lay of the land.

Sincerely,

Alex Post

Alex,

Can't believe no one has replied to your question!

Anyway, I have not personally experienced the N. Umpqua or any fishing in the Pacific Northwest.
    I would though recommend that you contact Dave Roberts in Eagle Point, Oregon.
    His bailiwick is the Rogue River but I would feel confident he could direct you to a reputable and good guide for the N. Umpqua.
    If you decide to maybe try the Rogue, you'll be on the river with a bamboo rod fishing guru! A flycaster that can hold his own with almost anyone in the world. A guide among guides! Knows the Rogue as well as anyone on this earth!

onetroutbum@aol.com This is Dave's email address.

Here's a photo of Dave gracing the cover of Joe Beelart's Oregon Bamboo:

Last edited by bobbyg; 02-08-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Alex,

I live here in Roseburg Oregon On the Umpqua North and South.

At what time of the year would you like to make your trip?

If you are planing to fish the 35 mile of Fly Fishing only waters that is a no fishing from a floating device. You will need to be in good physical condition the canyon is very steep and rough in most places. Take a look at this link for the Steam Boat Inn http://www.thesteamboatinn.com/fishing.html They will be the best ones to answer any questions as they are located in the middle of the fly waters.

If you decids to make this trip sen me a PM and we will shake and howdy.

David L David Dennis Roseburg Oregon
    "Don't mess with the Mule, just load the wagon"
    David L
    Roseburg Or.

After reading what 'David L' had to say, I clicked the link and surfed the site that he offered. I have just read one of the most interesting stories in my life. I'm not a well-rounded fly guy by any means although I do appreciate flyfishing and it's history. With that said, if nothing else, I think that folks should check out the "History of the Inn" in the drop-down of "The Lodge".

Disclaimer: I do not know these people and have never stayed or fished anywhere in this area of our beautiful country.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread