+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why flytiers shouldn't own chickens...

Hybrid View

Default Why flytiers shouldn't own chickens...

How many dozens per season?
    Flytying chicken2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DonO1; 02-07-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: better photo

Don,

Thanks for morning laugh. I really needed that. That rooster looks so indignant. He's really trying look cool like ther's nothing wrong but he can't quite pull it off.

Jim Smith

OH!!!!! That poor baby!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I laughed hard when I saw this......back in high school a friend of mine lived on a farm and nice long brown hackes were non-existent for flytying, except on his dad's prize rooster and chickens. Well, one afternoon my friend and I ran out of hackle, he piped up and said, bring your scissors, let's go to the barn to get more. Well, after putting the rooster to sleep, we gave him a haircut, went back to the house to tie more flies. When his dad got home, it was not a pretty sight.........for my friend or the rooster.

I quickly exited the scene, needless to say, the chickens were from that point onward off limits...that is until they were being processed for dinner..........

I agree with James Smith - That is not a good look for that chicken! A friend of mine (fly tyer) decided he was going to grow his own source of hackle. He got one chicken and that chicken grew into a monster Rhode Island Red rooster with some hellacious spurs. Well one day this rooster must have gotten loose. I guess his dad tried to corner it and a battle ensued. His dad got some nasty gashes on his arm, thus leading to the end of the" growing his own hackle" era. It's funny now!!

Best regards, Dave S.

James, if you need some more laughs, try out my cartoons on www.FantasyFlies.com.

Blog Entries

That is funny...Thank you. Many years ago I got the bright idea to buy some chickens, ducks and pheasants and have a farmer raise them for me. I paid for the food, he fed them. I got the skins, he got the meat. Well that turned out to be a very expensive project with skins that were not up to standards. They tasted pretty good though.

And here is how you bring them to hand for the harvest

http://www.conknet.com/~b_bull/speci...enfishing.html
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMac View Post
    That is funny...Thank you. Many years ago I got the bright idea to buy some chickens, ducks and pheasants and have a farmer raise them for me. I paid for the food, he fed them. I got the skins, he got the meat. Well that turned out to be a very expensive project with skins that were not up to standards. They tasted pretty good though.
    I did something simialr, trying to raise Blue Andalusians. I kept them on Amish Farms. The fisrt group of chicks were all eaten one night by the farmer's dog.

We didn't know any better, and on the second group we kept all the chickens together in the same pen. The roosters, as we found out, were fighters, and killed themselves cock fightling before we were able to separate the few that were left.

After a couple years there was only one prized rooster still alive, he died unexpectedly one day. The Amish farmer thought he was doing me a favor and skinned it out before he told me. He then gave me a small patch of feathers from just abouve the saddle, which that was all that he kept.

An expensive lessen? I'll say. But at least I stayed married through the experience, which is more than Henry Hoffman can say duiring his love affair with raising birds.

Okay, I'm sending you the bill for getting the soda out of my keyboard! Thanks for sharing that funny.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread