This is Greg Herring's first "Fly Of The Week" article for FAOL, and what a wonderful article it is. Greg gave credit, where credit is due, to the originator of the "Zonker, Dan Byford. Greg did not really show how to dress a specific "Zonker" pattern, instead he has shown how to dress all "Zonker patterns. His instruction also can be used for th "Matuka" fly patterns that he mentioned in his article

It was mention in the beginning of the this article that the "Zonker" is related to the "Matuka", the main difference between the two fly patterns is; "Zonker" uses Rabbit strips (straight cut), while the "Matuka" uses hackle for the pattern.

The "Matuka" got its name from the bird that hackle was originally taken from for the "Matuka" fly pattern, I do not know where the "Zonker" name came about, other than Dan Byford brain was zonked for a better name.....after dressing the pattern for the first time.

I was interesting to read in the article about even with the use of a salmon hook, the pattern is still considered by the writer as a "Streamer" fly pattern. Many would argue otherwise, but I agree with Greg Herring on this topic. I too dress "Streamer" patterns on "Salmon hooks". And I use these "Salmon" hook for dressing "Streamer" patterns for Bass (Largemouth and Smallmouth). Salmon hook are strong, and how the eye construct is designed the eye will not open with a big fish on the hook as the tag end of the eye is over wrapped with thread along the hook's shank.

Looking forward to more "FOTW" articles from the newest writer to the fold. ~Parnelli