+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White River, Arkansas; looking for info

Default White River, Arkansas; looking for info

Hey guys,
    I've convinced my wife to take a long weekend in Mt. Home Arkansas in April. I'm looking for a great guide and a great place to stay (keep in mind my wife will be there and is a non caster). All info will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Shane

I pull the little Starcraft popup camper out there and stay at the Bull Shaols State Park just below the dam. They (State Park) do rent out a couple of riverside RV's. And just down river, maybe 6 miles is Gaston's ... Motel, fly shop, resturant, rent a boat & motor and they offer guide service. I did a little business at their fly shop and ate in their resturant, but they seen to be spoken highly of.

http://www.gastons.com/

Blog Entries

Wildcat sholes. great place.

zhoyt guides in that NW Arkansas on the weekend.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I always stay at Fulton's Lodge. You can fish in front of the lodge from the bank and they have an access down river at their rental house. I've never used a guide there but some good information on the fishing conditions can be found at John Berry's web site. I suspect John is a good guide based on some conversations with him and some comments I've heard from others.

Berry Brother's web site is http://www.berrybrothersguides.com/ and Fulton's Lodge is http://www.mtnhome.net/fultons/

Good guides on the White? Depends on your "flavor."

All about catching fish, but you're in HIS boat = Davy Wotton. You WILL learn a lot and catch a bunch of fish. He's British, and has a different sort of style than most AR guides. He's more like a typical saltwater guide with a lot of coaching and expects things done his way. But he is a world-renowned angler.

Excellent guide who will put you on the fish and is easy to spend the day with = Clint Wilkinson or Denis Dunderdale. But Denis just took a job with Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. He may not be guiding anymore. Not sure.

Terrific storyteller, good guide except on high water, very enjoyable "experience" - John Berry. John is one of my personal favorites because having a relaxed good time, good conversation, etc. while fishing with someone is important to me. He and Denis Dunderdale are my personal choices for this reason. But on high water I'd hire Davy or Clint to put me on the better fishing.

Lady guide - Lori Sloas (John Berry's wife) is a good guide and teacher.

Gaston's is not all it's cracked up to be. Its reputation exceeds its reality. And it is not a fly-fishing oriented place. Almost all of the guides they use are catch-n-keep bait chuckers who will load the boat with fly rods if they have to.

Fulton's is a good choice for fly anglers. Rim Shoals resort is an excellent choice. Gene's Trout Resort is a great choice over on the Norfork tailwater (which actually fishes as well or better than much of the White River proper and has produced several of the world records the White is known for). You can Google almost all of this stuff for contact info, etc. Rim Shoals is just www.rimshoals.com The 2 local fly shops are Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in Mountain Home and Mountain River Fly Shop in Cotter.

I lived in Branson (90 minute drive from there) for a decade from 1998-2008. We all know each other well and it's a small, close-knit community. Everyone I mentioned here would do you right. Different folks just like different things in a guide and/or lodging. If your wife doesn't fish, I hope she likes antique shops and flea markets, reading, or knitting.

My wife and I stayed a few days at Copper Johns, between Gaston's and the park , a few years ago. Decent accomodations, friendly folks, not bad prices, and they can rent you boat/motor and/or set you up with a guide.
    Last edited by 51BC; 02-08-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: run-on words

You should look at going down there in the middle of March for the sow bug. It is a collection of some of the best fly tying around. I would also contact Zhoyt if you are looking for a guide.

Thanks for all the replys. There is a lot of usefull info there.

The best site that I know of for info. for fly fishermen on this area is: http://flyfishingarkansasandmissouri.yuku.com/

and this the Ozark site is also worth your time: http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/

+ Reply to Thread