+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New UltraWave Blank

Hybrid View

Default New UltraWave Blank

Dorber's new Ultrawave Blank

The Ladyfisher and I had the great pleasure of having one of these rods sent to us last summer. We used it on the spring creek and my nephew fished the Yellowstone and some of the waters in Yellowstone National Park with it. It's an interesting concept. Great power. It will be interesting to see how anglers react to the radical design.

The Chronicler

I cast a prototype along with a good friend and rod-builder at the dorber shop in flippin a few years ago. We were pretty amazed with the shooting power of the rod. And we put it through some accuracy tests and didn't see anything missing there.

Last year when Kenny & I were down to the Sow bug we went over to Dorber to visit Ray & Jeff. I had been told of the new Wave rod. Ray had one of the new prototypes that we took out and lawn cast. Kenny purchased a blank. It arrived shortly after we got back to the Ranch. Kenny has fished his several times and it is a cannon. He allowed all the contestants of the distance casting down at Lowell ID FI to cast it this past Sept, after the competition was over. Everyone cast it at least 25' farther than they had cast during the competition. I have a new blank on my bench at this time. Is not completed yet.
    The reason nothing has been written about it yet is because Ray just recently completed the patent on it. It is now complete.
    The only place you can get them is from Dorber who are Sponsors here on FAOL. We will be writing more on this new rod shortly.

http://www.dorber.com/UltraWave.html
    Denny

The extra 25' was consistent with both of our experience, too, Denny. Casting greater distance isn't really a big deal to me. But having one of these in an 8wt and 10wt for the windy days on the saltwater would probably be cool just because of the extra energy transfer from the double rod load action. I'm also wondering of they're going to make them in 10+ wt models for tarpon, etc. and the possibility of 2-handed rods. An 11-12' Wave switch rod with a shooting head could make an awesome surf combo for overhead 2-handed casting!

One of the comments nephew Tom Travis made after casting the rod extensively was that it should be a very effective tool in teaching the Wounded Warriors to cast - less effort, more power. That gets my attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    The reason nothing has been written about it yet is because Ray just recently completed the patent on it. It is now completehttp://www.dorber.com/UltraWave.html
    FlyFisherman did have a product review on the UltraWave and one of the major problems they stated was, if you rotated the UltraWave even slightly during the stroke and take the rod out of plane you will notice major problems. Also they go on to say if you have rotational cast poor choice. So what I get out of this review is you need to be dead on with your forward and back cast every-time or else
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

+ Reply to Thread