The flats fishing lately has been good, provided you find the right spot. With the fish mostly in schools, it can be either feast or famine. Some flats are holding schools of fish numbering in the hundreds while others have no fish at all. As is usual in the winter, weather is the most influential factor. Clouds and wind make spotting fish next to impossible. Sunny days allow you to spot fish from long distances. DOA shrimp and three inch CAL tails along with spinnerbaits have been the most effective lures the past couple weeks. Fly fishing has been very good as well with black redfish worms or brown, black, and olive crabs getting bites.

Last month, Rick and I shared a day of fun fishing for redfish and drum in Mosquito Lagoon. I started the day with a redfish on a green bendback fly. The rest of the day we spent targeting tailing black drum with numerous crab and shrimp flies. We landed quite a few fish, lost several more, and had plenty of opportunities.

A few days later, Rick and I were at it again. The sun was scarce making sight fishing difficult. This time the redfish and seatrout were more plentiful than the drum. We both caught plenty using three inch DOA CAL tails.

Steve and Tony took their first trip to Mosquito Lagoon earlier this week. The cloud cover was heavy but we had smooth water and warm air making for a pleasant day. We encountered several schools of redfish and drum and both guys landed some nice sized fish before the wind picked up.

The following day Jesse and his father-in-law Bruce had another day of good weather and great fishing. They had consistent shots at redfish throughout the day and had some good catch and release action.

Anglers can expect the schools of redfish, drum, and trout to remain for the next couple months. Crystal clear water makes the fish easy to spot and it is not uncommon to see nearly 1,000 fish per day. The catch ratio is directly connected to casting accuracy. The better you cast, the more you will catch. During periods of cooler weather, slow down your presentations and look along the deeper edges of the flats for the fish.

Capt. Chris Myers
Central Florida Sight Fishing Charters