+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Input needed...

Default Input needed...

Howdy gents!
    As I mentionned in my other post in this forum I will be going down to the Florida Keys in June for my first shot at some Bones and Permit, (maybe a baby Tarpon if the chance presents itself). My current saltwater reel is a Sage 1680 and it's mounted to a Reddington 8Wt 2pc. rod, (not sure of which exact model since it's at home and I'm currently in Afghanistan!).

Anyway, to make a long story short, do you think that the 1680 is enough reel for the hard fighting fish I'll hopefully be catching in the Keys?

Also, I would like to find a nice 4pc rod to take with me instead of my current 2pc so if anyone has a suggestion in that regard it would be greatly appreciated!

Default 4 piece Rod

Hi,
    I have a 4 piece 8wt Reddington Crosswater that needs a new home. Sock and tube. PM me if interested.
    Mike

Based on my experience with the Sage 1880, I think the 1680 would be fine for bonefish. I haven't used it for bonefish myself, but it is just fine with the bonito we catch in Southern California and bonito can really move. I was hoping to try it on skipjack tuna but they didn't show last year. Both reels have the same drag system. The 1880 has a more durable coating. I have caught exactly one permit, a fish of about 15lbs. The reel would have handled that particular fish also but one fish is not a big enough sample size to really come to a conclusion. I have no experience with tarpon of any size.

As for the 8wt rod in a 4pc, there are many many good rods out there all across the price spectrum. Individual rod preference can by very subjective. Melk's Crosswater is a great budget rod. All of the Temple Fork models are popular here, but so are Redington and St. Croix for lower cost rods.

+ Reply to Thread