+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Fork of the Snake

Default South Fork of the Snake

ok folks... another question.

I am wanting to float the Snake this summer on my trip, and want to float the section that has the best view of the Grand Tetons. I saw this section of water on TV a few weeks back, and was wanting to hit it. I think its the section within the park, but not 100% sure. I'm reading alot about the south section of the River near the Henry's Fork confluence... but i'm not sure that is the section i'm looking for...

anybody out there able to clear things up for me?

Thanks!
    WV browntrout

WV,
    For the best view of the Tetons you will want to float the section of the Snake norht of Jackson hole. Fishing can be red hot on this section, it is a very popular float for both fisherman, and rafters, you won't be alone. The south fork of the Snake is aslo a very nice float, not as many people ans again great fishing! If you can just fish both sections!! Good luck

Hey WVBT,
    The South Fork is NOT where the best views are to be had. The best views are within GTNP starting at the Jackson Lake Dam just North of the Signal Mountain Resort/campground. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no commercial float trips start there but if you have a personal water craft........... Dornans, just inside the Moose entrance has float trips that offer Teton views. Their bar window views will intoxicate you. Bring a camera and lots of film or mbs for those breathtaking vistas.

Mark

PS: Signal Mountain also books floats but I'm not sure where they put in.
    ------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 05 April 2006).]

I Live on the section you'er wondering about it is great fishing but not better than the rest of the river.

Rich

Talk to Jack Dennis, or one of his guys, at [url=http://www.jackdennis.com/:576d0]http://www.jackdennis.com/[/url:576d0]

I spend two weeks up there every summer, so I kind of know the place. I also 'hate' Rich because he lives there.

Depending on when you go, there probably will be a water issue up there this year, so talk to the fly shop before you make firm plans.

I'll be there the first two weeks of July, so let me know if your going to be there then and we'll try to hook up.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

I plan on floating the Snake on the 31st of July or the 1st of August... I would like to find a place where I could rent a boat, so I could make the trip myself (as my girlfriend will be with me). I would like to float the section with the Tetons as the backdrop so that I can pull off there and propose (plus, that is supposed to be the best fishing, right??) I figured that "place" would be a summary of our relationship for the past 5 years, and a look ahead of the years to come (traveling to nice places, fishing great rivers, and enjoying one another's company). I'm afraid that a guide would only take away from this... or "limit" any reaction that might occur!

WV browntrout

So, if she accepts , go back to Jackson Lake Lodge and get married.

My wife and I got married there and it offers one of the most beautiful panoramas (sp?) you will see anwhere.

Congrats!!!!!

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

As mentioned by others for Teton views the Snake upstream from Jackson is a great choice.

By the end of July hopefully run-off will be done on it.

You will not get even a peek of the Tetons from the S. Fork.

Another option would be to float the upper Teton river on the Idaho side of the Tetons.

A little different aspect then most of the photos you see of the grand but nonetheless still awsome.

The river should be fishable by the end of June and there are some big Rainbows and a few large Cutts still left in it.

It is a great dry-fly stream.

And it is extremely easy to float in the upper sections, and is very rarely subjected to crowding.

Rob

Great resources given above. If you go it alone on the Snake in GTNP, be sure you're experienced with big water. There are lots of other places within GTNP that would provide a dramatic backdrop for proposing to the lady. A canoe daytrip on the String Lakes would be a great one, and there are many more. [url=http://www.shannontech.com/ParkVision/GrandTeton/GrandTeton6.html:2729f]http://www.shannontech.com/ParkVision/GrandTeton/GrandTeton6.html[/url:2729f] Lots of things to see in GTNP. Then top it off with a float trip down the South Fork between Swan Valley, Idaho, and Ririe. No Tetons, but a great trip, good scenery, and good fishing. The water should be in good shape by the end of July.

Just a couple of suggestions tossed in the mix. Have a great trip!

info@reel-women.com [url=http://www.reel-women.com:2729f]www.reel-women.com[/url:2729f]
    ------------------
    Lew

[This message has been edited by Lew (edited 05 April 2006).]
    They're just fish, right? Right?

! thing to take note of!! Marriages preformed by A guide are good only for the duration of the float!! Call it a test drive LOL

Rich

+ Reply to Thread