+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New (to me) 3/4 wt reel

Hybrid View

Default New (to me) 3/4 wt reel

Just purchased a used Orvis Battenkill 3/4 wt with an Orvis Silver label wt forward line. It was not a bad deal. I was looking for a reel for a new 7'6" 3/4 wt rod I just finished building and came across this one. I used a full wells cork grip because I find it more comfortable than the half wells.
    I'm sure others here use the Orvis reels and I'd like your opinions after the fact.
    I am going to my friend's funeral this coming weekend in the Eastern Sierra and plan to try the new outfit out in the Owens River after the services to calm down and get away from the crowd.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jim, I have used the same reel for years and has never given me any problems. I also use the Orvis large arbor reels for salmon and steelhead and always have performed well. I just purchased a Lamson Litespeed from another board member here and so far I like what I see but time on the water will tell the whole story.....enjoy the reel and nice looking rod to boot!............Biggie

I have been using a pair of the Battenkill 3/4 Disc reels with a couple of more spools for about 15 years for my 4wt and lighter rods. Some of the coating/paint has been worn off but they still function as if they were new out of the box. I have lubricated them maybe 2 or 3 times over that period. I have taken some pretty good size trout on light tippet with them too so the drag is sufficient. The reels are easy to service. I also have some 7/8 and 8/9 models that have seen more that a dozen years of fresh and saltwater fishing and they are still going strong too.

I've owned several of these reels over the years and have nothing bad to say about them.

Great reels, especially for the money. I prefer the click/pawl Battenkills made by Hardy. That's just me.

Nice outfit......hope you make a killing.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I bought one of these reels for my 5 weight. Loaded it with a Peach WF5F and I like it so much that I bought another. Not just a spool, but another reel all together. Loaded it with an SA full sink WF5S. Love them both and use them both as my go to reels. They are what I use 90% of the time. They are reliable, consistent and always work the way I expect.
    How's that for an endorsement?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread