I remember well walking with Mom and Dad in Downtown Denver at the age of 5. If I was not on the street side of Mom, I was put there. If I went through a door before Mom did, I was yanked back by the collar. If I didn't open a door for Mom, or any other of the fairer sex, I was "reminded" of my transgression. Foul language was not tolerated. I never heard foul language fro my parents or grandmother. I taught my kids the same.

Not all of us boomers are lacking with the training of our kids. I took on 6 step kids after their father committed suicide. We had our times. It wasn't an easy road for any of us, but they are fine men and women now. They treat others with respect and work hard. Their kids do, too. My girls thought I was horrid for not letting them run to the car when a date pulled up and honked. They were horribly embarrassed when I would go out and let their date know that he would, if he ever wanted to go out with my daughter again, come to the door when they were going out. The girls got to where they expected this from a date as well and I got to meet some nice young men. Kids that came to the house were held to the same standard as my kids were. They all liked being treated with respect and see the value in treating others with respect as well.

I still teach young men to treat others with respect through Scouts.

As for the adults I deal with every day, I lead by example. Someone might start out with a foul mouth, but after getting "The Look" and not hearing anything foul from me, they get the idea very quickly. You can make a difference by simply not using foul language yourself. Manners are contagious. Be a carrier.