+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THIS SHOULD BE FUN - Neil - January 31, 2011

Good job, Kevin!

Of course you're right: not ALL. But it seems that these things are becoming so rare that in day-to-day living it often seems as though we are the last of the dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by gmac209 View Post
    " Profanity - the attempt of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly "
    I like that. The quote I picked up years ago is similar; "Profanity is a crutch for the inarticulate."

I wish I could say that I never let profanity leave my mouth, but I can't. I can work on it, though, and I do.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Those of us who have seen five or six decades pass have certainly seen some changes. When we were kids we cursed when we got extremely angry, or when we wanted to impress somebody with how we perceived ourselves as macho, risque, or cool, or some such nonsense. Always, in the back of our minds, was the fear that our behavior would get back to parents, teachers, clergy etc, and our world would come crashing down. I watched the next generation come up with lots less inhibiton about displaying bad language, and improper behavior. Now I'm watching their kids swagger around with their pants hanging around their knees, talking trash that would make a pirate blush, and blatantly excoriating every socially accepted behavior. Try to correct them, and you might wind up with a molotov coctail in your lap. Example: It was a bluebird day on the lake. Bright sun. No wind. No fish biting stripped flies etc. so we anchored the boat 30-40 yards away from a family group fishing from shore, and a respectful distance from several other boats who were doing the same. Good time to chuck a worm and wait for it to drown, while munching and dozing, and waiting for evening. Two young guys and a young gal in one of the nearby boats. Poles in the water. Guys in cut-offs and no shirts. Gal in short shorts and a tube top. You're all familiar with how well sounds carry over water on a quiet day. We were all privy to the discussion they were having about their amorous exploits. This being liberally laced with words and descriptions that made you sorry you belonged to the same species. I fervently wished for a bow gun and an open season. The family on-shore gathered up their kids and gear and left. Several more of us in the boats pulled anchor and did the same. Those three didn't have a clue, and wouldn't have cared if they had. Where does this end? What will their unfortunate kids be like?
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Best thing that I always try to do, is be courteous to all on the water. Granted, last year, I had two encounters with other fishermen. In one case, I was probably the rude one. (Walking back to my truck and didn't realize somebody was just around the bend from me, and was thrashing through the water to get to the other side). I probably spooked the hole he was fishing pretty good. The other case was a standard tackle guy who was fishing about 25 yards behind me. No issues from me on that. Although it was upsetting to watch him catch 2 fish out of holes that I had just finished dropping flies too 15 minutes earlier! Heh.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

+ Reply to Thread