+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THE DJG MIDGE - Fly of the Week - January 31, 2011

Blog Entries

Default THE DJG MIDGE - Fly of the Week - January 31, 2011

THE DJG MIDGE

I first started tying this pattern quite a few years ago. I just happened to come up with it during a trip to Bennet Spring State Park with my brother. There was a midge hatch coming off the water.*I caught one out of the air to have a look. I didn't have anything quite that small, so on our lunch break I bought a box of size 24 Mustad hooks and tried to come up with something that looked similar to the midge I'd caught. It took several tries, but I had a winner before lunch was over. I've been fishing them ever since.

Default New writer to the list of fotw writers

Dr. Hugo M. Gibson, the writer of this weeks "FOTW DJG Midge" is a new addition to all the writers who have fly tying articles in the "FOTW" archives. "The DJG Midge" is a great addition, and looking forward to more "FOTW" articles from Dr. Hugo M. Gibson. ~Parnelli

Anyone who does not yet have a "FAOL Fly Pattern" CD (pdf formate requires adobe reader) please contact me at parnelli@comcast.net The CD's and mailing are free! ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

I like it! It looks like a simple, yet effective midge pattern.

Would you care to offer any notes about your presentation of this fly?

Neat fly! But I can' decide whether its a dry or a wet? Ostrich herl is usually for subsurface stuff, and I wonder if it would take dry fly dressing. Perhaps Frog's Fanny?

I've found that they don't usually do well with floatant applied directly to the fly; the hackle sticks together and you loose that nice uniform look. If I'm going to use it dry, then I actually grease the tippet just in front of the fly to keep it from sinking. It works really well that way. Some of the dry silicone powders or sprays might work pretty well applied to the fly. It will float quite well without any floatant if you can make a good delicate landing on the water. They fly is so light it rides nicely on the surface film. Keep in mind too, that if you're using floro, it's going to pull the fly down, so you will need to grease the tippet.

TT.

Great Pattern It is exaclty what I look for in a pattern. A good looking fly and simple to tie. Jack showed me a caddis emerger pattern he came up with at the east TN gathering last year. He took a few strands of white poly yarn and tied on for a tail, thus looking like the shuck of the emerging insect. I'm thinking the same thing would work good here as well. What do you guys think?

Great pattern, thanks for sharing,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Talking

Jason
    That must have been after a considerable intake on George Dickle!!

HNT,

That might add something to it, the only problem I forsee though is adding anything extra will leave you with a bit of a ball at the back of the fly, and it's really hard to get the herl to wrap evenly over the hump when you put more material on. That's the only problem with tying such small flies.

TT

+ Reply to Thread