+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is what fishing the Clearwater in Idaho is Like:

Benjo,

Just to make 'ya drool ...

July long weekend Zone 4 Rv Ste-Marguerite

It was a bit crowded as me and Daniel had 20 km of river to ourselves, but his brother and girlfriend were fishing in the zone below us (yes, ... we were 4 ff's on over 35 km of river)

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:17829]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:17829]
    Christopher Chin

I remember many years ago when the St. Croix river looked like that. Now it is so over run with 30 - 60' boats a fishing boat don't have a chance on a weekend.
    When we were much younger we would fill up coolers with ice cold "beverages" and hang a sign off the side of the boat. A regular floating consession stand. You could make $50 - $100 a day if it got hot enough.
    If you can't fish; might as well turn a profit.

Fly-Line:

St Croix is a wonderful river to fish above Taylor Falls MN/St. Croix Falls WI. The big boats are too big for the river above the falls, and the land on both sides of the river are either State Forests, State Parks, or Wildlife Reserves. The trees come right down to stream-side, keeping the water cool on the hottest summer day.

See you living in Hastings at the junction of the St. Croix River and the Mississippi River. Well worth your time to drive UP NORTH for some great largemouth bass and brown trout fishing.

~ Parnelli

Lower St. Croix,Hastings MN up to Hudson WI,is for the big 40 boats.

Middle St. Croix, Hudson WI up to Stillwater MN, is for the Speed Boaters.

Middle St. Croix, Stillwater MN to the the Falls, is for the outboard anglers.

Upper St. Croix is for the rest of us, it is some of the best fishing water to be found in the Midwest.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 08 March 2005).]

I think I see a Starbucks on the right side of that picture.

Flyline,

Ah ,... the young entrepreners ... I caught junior last summer selling flies (he ties them) on the gallery on one of the pools while I was off with some clients (he also booked on for me the next day )

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:de6f6]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:de6f6]
    Christopher Chin

the green river below the flaming gorge dam averages 50-100 boats per day; I doubt it would be worse then this...

however, it is still possible to spend a lot of time with not boats in view...

I wonder how many of those boys were from Montana? Everyone is talking about the Clearwater around here....

The Clearwater is over 70 miles from it's confluence with the Snake to Clear Creek where the steelhead fishing stops. It doesn't matter what day this picture was taken empty fishable water could have been found. That hole isn't all that good for fly fishing anyway.

You know I fished the Clearwater for a whole lot of years when there were so few steelies in it that you did not have to worry about anybody else. On the whole, I would rather have it full of boats and fish that full of neither.

David

+ Reply to Thread