+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fishing line

Default fishing line

what is the best fly line on the market...............i do mostly dry fly fishing...i dont have the time time to experiment and waste money on fishing lines............what do you pros use...

Scientific Anglers SharkSkin. They do have a less expensive embossed line out now.

Rio Gold and you can afford backing when you buy it

Ronnie Z,

The question you ask is not one that can be answered by anyone here or anywhere else for that matter. The easiest way to answer it is to say, "the best fly line out there is the fly line that works best for you for your style of fishing." Everyone has what they feel is the best, but, that could mean that what they are using is the best for them because it is the fly line that they can afford and it presents their flies the way they want it to. You really need to try different fly lines and see what works the best for you.

The really important thing to know is that the fly rod, the fly line, the fly reel, the leader, the tippet and the fly does not catch the fish. The presentation of the fly is what catches the fish. You can have the best of everything and if the fly is not presented properly, you still will not catch a fish, but, you will look good on the water. : )

That said, my suggestion would be to purchase the fly line that fits your budget and works the best for you for presenting your fly properly.

The above is the only suggestion I can give you and is entirely my opinion and nothing more.....Good luck
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default Well, that thing about "pros" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Z View Post
    what is the best fly line on the market...............i do mostly dry fly fishing...i dont have the time time to experiment and waste money on fishing lines............what do you pros use...
    ... pretty much disqualifies me, but I do fish some and I do use dry flies a good part of the time.

My fly line of choice has been the Rio Selective Trout series which has been replaced by the LT. When I need a new fly line, I'll go with the LT series. On my 3 and 4-5 wt rods I use a DT line, and on my 7 wt I use a WF line.

Follow the link for Rio's description of the LT.

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=145

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Z View Post

It's taken me awhile to find out what line (and rod lengths and weights and reels) that works best for me and fits into my needs. Now, my fishing buddy does not like my choices, he prefers other brands and weights and lengths (of course he's not half as smart as me). But the point I'd have to make is there simply no other substitute for your own experiments and expenditures to find out just what works best for you. None.

Wink

The only suggestions I would make, are to stay away from specialty lines like "Nymphing" specific or "Streamer" specific lines. They will not cast the way you want them to. Second, stay away from beginner lines or bottom shelf lines. Regardless of the brand of fly line, always spend the money and upgrade. Third, depending on what kind of dry fly fishing you do, it is imperative that you ask your local fly shop what kind of line taper is best. For example, I hardly ever dry fly fish, but when I do I cast very large stone flies and I prefer shooting tapers versus a double tapers. But, if you want someone to just drop a name for you, I will push RIO more than any other. Dollar for dollar, they will not disappoint.

P.S.
    I have in the past bought fly lines based on others opinions at local fly shops and hated the lines. No one can understand completely what you want unless you are very specific with what your needs are. Good luck.
    Lou

For trout, I fish mostly dries and rarely have a need to cast more than 30-35'; I have an Airflow for my 6wt, a Scientific Anglers Mastery 5wt that I use to overline my 9' 4wt rod for windy conditions, and a Cortland 444 4wt that I use with my 7' brush rod. I don't think I paid more than $30 for any of them and they've all worked great. For saltwater I've used whatever Orvis, Teeny and Rio, SA that was on sale and again, been happy with how they work for me. The only line I've ever had issues with was a Cortland Laser that was an absolute piece of junk. If you're a tournament-grade caster who can appreciate the nuances of the various lines (guys like Lefty Kreh can take a $5 level line from Walmart and make casts with his bare hands that are amazing) you'll have a different set of priorities than a hack like me who has 2 main requirements - 1. it doesn't cost an arm and a leg 2. it floats more often than not (and yes I do clean my line before I get on the water).

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread