+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Ordered My New Tenkara Rod

Default I Ordered My New Tenkara Rod

I finally went and did it. This morning before I left for work I ordered my new tenkara rod. I have always loved fishing with just a pole, some line and a hook so tenkara fits right in. I'm looking forward to catching dozens of crappies and bluegills with it, the odd bass and maybe even some trout.

You'll LOVE if for panfish!! It's a blast.

Did the same a few weeks ago. What line(s) did you order with it.

Which rod did you order. I fished my Iwana yesterday and really love it. When trouts are cold their takes are so subtle that Tenkara lets you feel everything.

Congrats on the new rod, now the waiting begins. I really want a Yamme US Tenkara rod

I just sold my Ayu to REE now I'm going to order a 13 1/2ft Amagio.

I ordered both a traditional Tenkara line and a level line to see what works best for me. The rod I ordered is the Yamame. I wanted a stiffer, stronger rod since it's not unusual for a bass or catfish to take the fly in the lakes, rivers and ponds that I fish.
    As a matter of fact it was some bass that caused the demise of a 16 ft. English style whip that I used to use a lot for panfishing. I loved the simplicity and effectiveness of fishing that way. That whip was like handling a feather and just racked in the panfish by the dozen whenever I used it.

Welcome to the addiction. I bet you'll have a lot of fun! May I ask what made you decide for the Yamame and not the Amago?

I just got an email from TenkaraUSA that my new rod is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm excited. Now if only this blast of winter that we're having could be cut short and spring could be delivered ahead of time so I could try out my new rod.

goneflyfishing,
    I picked the Yamame instead of any of the other choices because the way I read the advertising it would be a bit better for handling larger fish and in the places I panfish there's always the chance I'll hook a nice bass instead of a bluegill or crappie. I had another telescoping pole that I broke by catching one too many bass with it and not handling the pole correctly.

I also started with the Yamame for the same reasons. I do , when I'm lucky , run into some sizable fish at times. I started with the furled line from Tenkara USA but I think it's a little light for the rod. I want to go to a bit heaver one but am not sure which to try. Maybe I should ask John Scott. He is the guru of furled lines for sure. Let us all know how the new rod does when you get a chance to fish it. I think you'll really like it.

+ Reply to Thread