+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost Crappie Time (here in the south, anyway...)

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Almost Crappie Time (here in the south, anyway...)

The male crappie have moved into 10-15 feet of water here in Tn. It won't be long now.

I have been experimenting with freshwater versions of the famous flats fly, the Gotcha. Here is one I've tied in crappie colors, on a # 8 hook.. I'll try it out next week.

I'm sure that will take crappies. Wow, crappie time. We have about 3 months to go up her in the North Country. Do you need a fishing buddy?
    Bruce

Sure. Come down anytime.

Up her north of Detroit im usually casting mid march for largemouth and carp depending on the weather. the water levels on Lake St Clair are really down and im sure they are going to have a drastic affect on my early season fly fishing. I have a "go too" canal that was only a few feet deep as it was now its almost dry but im looking forward to getting a line wet all the same. COME ON SPRING!!! talk about seasonal affectivness disorder, i have it bad! everyday is like groundhogs day up here. wake up, its snowy, cold, windy, grey, bla bla bla

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I'm sure that will take crappies. Wow, crappie time. We have about 3 months to go up her in the North Country. Do you need a fishing buddy?
    Bruce
    I am pretty certain there are folks in Portage Pa that fish for them through the ice just like the rest of our state does. crappie fishing is year round here in Perry County Pa and really productive through the ice with the right gear along with a little knowledge of the sport. Those flies you tie for fly fishing work good on ice fishing gear as well.

Should work fine, Gig!

While not identical by any means, the action and size is roughly similar to the Craft Fur Clousers I tie for crappies and bluegills. #8 for crappies, #10s for bluegills/crappies. I don't recall if I've tied any #12's, but both species should gobble those up too!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I've tried tying some Micro Gotchas on #12 Dry Fly Hooks for bluegills. Here is how it came out:

I tie a lot of Clousers. too. The difference is that Clousers have fur above, and below the hook shank, and Gotcha/Crazy Charlies only have fur on the top. I think Gotchas were around a lot longer than Clousers have been.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure these will work. I'm going to find out as soon as the weather clears.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Should work fine, Gig!

While not identical by any means, the action and size is roughly similar to the Craft Fur Clousers I tie for crappies and bluegills. #8 for crappies, #10s for bluegills/crappies. I don't recall if I've tied any #12's, but both species should gobble those up too!

Right on! The Crazy Charlie originated in 1977, the Clouser Deep Minnow in 1987. I couldn't find the date of origin for the Gotcha, but it appears to be a variation of the Crazy Charlie (?).

Craft fur has really good movement in the water, compared to kiptail or bucktail.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I think a Crazy Charlie is just a Gotcha without a tail, and the eyes moved closer to the hook eye.

They were invented by 2 different people. The Gotcha was created by Jim McVay, and the Crazy Charlie by Bob Nauheim.

I tied some in pink, for carp, but I think I'mm going to see if trout like them as well.

+ Reply to Thread