+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Showing my Ignorance??

Default Showing my Ignorance??

I read the Arkansas and Texas weekly fishing reports and occasionally I find a fly there I've never heard of before. These flies are probably not new to some of you, so can someone point me toward directions for tying a Mad Olive and a Woolly Mammoth. Even a picture would suffice to let me know what the heck they are talking about.
    These were mentioned as being particularly effective in Arkansas on the Spring River for the current conditions of the river.

rodgerole

If you go to Google and click on images and enter the name of the fly you will be rewarded quite often. One thing to remember is to include the word "fly" in your search. I found a Mad Olive Fly but struck out on the Mammoth.

Tim

After I submitted this reply I decided to look at a Mad Olive Fly so I went to the web site abd low & behold there was you mammoth also. Go here: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...M4LUtQOKkcCnCg
    Last edited by Panman; 01-28-2011 at 08:07 PM.

You aren't ignorant. Most folks would know exactly what they were talking about if they'd said "olive beadhead woolly bugger" or "brown woolly bugger with rubber legs".
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The elusive Wooly Mammoth. Panman it was on the same website as the mad olive. I expected it to look more like a fuzzy elephant.

Wooly Mammoth.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

You aren't ignorant, people make up fly names daily. There are millions of patterns out there and even slight variations of old patterns seem to warrant a new name in some peoples minds. Therefore the woolly bugger and muddler are renamed endlessly.

Blog Entries

Wooly Mammoth? I think not. I don't see any tusks or a trunk, lol. As George Carlin once said, "nail two things together that have never been nailed together before and some Schmuck will buy it from you!"
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

On the Wooly Mammoth, I think the rubber legs are sort of redundant. IMO. It's just a Wooly Bugger with rubber legs,.

Isn't the Mad Olive just a Bead Head Wooly Bugger?

To be fair, it is a common practice to give unique names to local variations of known flies as a mnemonic. "Mad Olive" is after all a lot easier to say than "olive bead headed woolly bugger, tail cut short, with peacock krystal flash topping in the tail, crystal chenille body, and brown hackle." Sure there's a bit of marketting involved, but I sort of doubt the tier was trying to claim this as an original pattern...

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it was a marketing scheme by a local tackle shop. Put out reports of fish hitting certain fly patterns that nobody has ever heard of...when they do an internet search, that pattern is only available from one place. To a fly angler that doesn't tie his own flies, he has but one option if he wants to fish those patterns.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread