+ Reply to Thread

Thread: single twine or double twine board

Hybrid View

Default single twine or double twine board

I run a single twine board (one continous thread) and was curious on what others use. A single like I do or the double and then twist those two together?

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

As I see it, it depends upon how much room you have. If I can do a 6 ft leader on a 7 ft board (double twine), why would I want to do it over 13 ft, or more (single twine) and then still have to double it for final furling? I hope this helps answer your question.

aged sage

I have 10' board set with 5 different settings to go from a little over 5' to a 12' furled leader. Yeah I do get out there doing those long ones, but generally I make a 7'6" leader and it is no big deal. I do not see how I would need a 13' board to do a 6' leader.
    Last edited by baitwaister; 01-27-2011 at 03:21 AM.

If i read it correctly (not a native english speaker) you're talking about the "V" setup against making two separate strands, twisting them separately and letting them furl together. I use the V setup.

Karel

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

baitwaister:

The need for a 13 ft board is based on having two pegs, 12 feet apart, as terminal pegs for the leader lay out ( equivalent to two furling hooks side-by-side), and with the requisite 'step' pegs in between. After completion of layout, as I interpret what you do, you start twisting at one end and twist to some point, at which time you double the one end back to the other, let the two legs come together, and then furl. If I am correct, this clearly means that you would need a board in excess of 12 feet to do a 6 ft leader, as you are laying both legs out in a straight line end-to-end. A 6 ft leg, times two legs end-to-end, equals a distance of twelve feet, plus additional to accommodate the extra thread length require to accommodate shrinkage.

If you use a mechanical twister and twist both legs at the same time, as I do, with both legs laying side -by-side, my board needs be only about 7ft long to accommodate the thread length allowed for shrinkage (6 inches for a six ft leader).

Believe it or not, doing the initial twisting in a straight line is how many have made their leaders; only bringing the two ends together at the start of furling!

aged sage
    Last edited by aged_sage; 01-27-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Well i started with two strands according to the "Henk Verhaar" method (You'll find a description searching for that name on the global fly fisher site). Now i just have one continuos thread which i layout in a V-shape and a mechanical twister which twists the 2 butt legs of the V with the same rpms at the same time. Never tried the "double the length of the leader and fold back" method (i don't have the room for that).

Karel

+ Reply to Thread