+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NuCanoe

Hybrid View

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default NuCanoe

I am thinking about buying a Nu Canoe. They look cool.

Anybody have any experience with these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46OMG...eature=related

Hey, Gigmaster,

How are you doing? Everytime I see a post from you, I think about the great time we all had at the "Tennessee Gathering" at Townsend and look forward to the next one.

I have been a proud owner of a 10' NuCanoe for over 3 years and in my opinion, there is no finer boat. I really enjoy mine. If you will look at the link you provided and scan down the list of videos they have, you will find one labled, "Duck River" and if you click on it, you will find "me". After you view it you will see why I did not make it as an actor and why I fly fish instead! : ) The video will show how easily the NuCanoe is to use. I love mine and would recommend it to everyone. If you can find a dealer close to you, I would highly recommend that you demo one. I purchased mine from my local fly shop here in Lynchburg, TN. They also have a demo boat that you can try out. If you decide to visit here and demo one, let me know and I will join you with mine and we can fish and float the river at the same time. NuCanoe is a sponsor here on FAOL and you will find more videos on there home Web site. In my opinion, the NuCanoe is the greatest fly fishing boat made. It is very stable, easy to paddle with a double bladed paddle and with the swivel seat option, it is just plain relaxing and fun and comfortable.

Check them out.....
    Last edited by WarrenP; 01-26-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thumbs up Thanks for the link, Warren ...

... and nice job on the video !!

I was pretty sure you'd be posting on this thread, and I was looking forward to an update on your prior posts on the NuCanoe. Sounds like you are still really liking it.

I do have a couple questions - what is the approximate speed of the current on the Duck ?? And do you have an idea how hard a current you could paddle against going upstream ??

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

Good questions that I will try to answer the best that I can. The Elk River and the Duck River are both rivers I fish here and they are very much alike except the Elk is much wider. They both have a steady flow of about 200CFS unless there is generation on the Elk or dam releases on the Duck and with either of these, I do not try to navigate during these times just to be safe, although, they it could be done, I just do not try it. They both have their slower holes of deeper water separated by the very fast shallower water that may only be inches deep. Normally when I paddle upstream in either one, I do not paddle up the fastest moving water but, instead, I will paddle up the edges of the slower moving water or seams between the fast the slow water. I have paddled through some very fast water only when there was not a seam to travel in. You can paddle up a fast steam if you have enough depth of the water to get a good paddle stroke in which should be at least 18" on more. If I cannot get the paddle into the water, I cannot get a good forward stroke. What I normanly do is paddle up to the the faster water section, pull to the left of right of it, drop the anchor and get out and fly fish the fast section. Once fished, I will pull the NuCanoe through the fast water into deeper water and get in and keep on going. Pulling the NuCanoe through is very easy since the bottom of the NuCanoe is very much like the bottom of a kayak and it just glides. There have been many times I will get out of the NuCanoe and tie a rope to my waist and just wade through the fast water and fish it and once through it and in deeper water, just get in it and keep on going. You hardly know that the NuCanoe is tied to you. I have nothing against kayaks but I do feel at my age, and I will be 63 in March, that the NuCanoe is made for me. My knees and balance are not what they used to be and I needed a craft that would not be tippy, would not turn over, was very easy to paddle with a double bladed paddle, was comfortable to fish out of and still be light enough, my 10' weighs 60 pounds, that I could drag it up or down banks and haul it in the back of my Frontier and the NuCanoe fits that perfectly. With the swivel seat option, I can sit very much like in a chair and be comfortable while fishing. I have my anchors set up so I can raise or lower the front and rear anchor from where I am. I can swivel around and fish from either side or turn all the way around and fish off the back of the craft. When I observed people in kayaks I noticed that they could only fish straight out in front of them and if they wanted to fish either side or back, they would have to re-position the kayak to do so or they would have to twist their upper bodies to fish plus they were forced to keep their legs straight out in front of them and no option to re-position their bodies to get more comfortable. In my opinion, a kayak was made for someone much younger than me. Please understand that I am not "knocking" a kayak because they are a good craft, but, not for this 63 year old man.

I hope this helps and if not, please let me know.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default Thanks, Warren.

I haven't used watercraft to fish up to this point, but I am wondering if the NuCanoe may be a viable option on the Bitterroot or the Clark Fork. I like the idea of rowing upstream and then fishing on the way back down to the access. No shuttle fees and issues with that approach.

I also like the idea of a rowing option vs the single blade canoe or double blade kayak paddle options. I use an indoor rower for conditioning and really enjoy that kind movement - would be pretty neat to be doing it out on the river, and might even be an incentive to try some stillwater ( ) fishing.

John

Follow the link to a great indoor rowing machine.

http://concept2.com/us/indoorrowers/d_home.asp
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Hey, Gigmaster,

How are you doing? Everytime I see a post from you, I think about the great time we all had at the "Tennessee Gathering" at Townsend and look forward to the next one.

I have been a proud owner of a 10' NuCanoe for over 3 years and in my opinion, there is no finer boat. I really enjoy mine. If you will look at the link you provided and scan down the list of videos they have, you will find one labled, "Duck River" and if you click on it, you will find "me". After you view it you will see why I did not make it as an actor and why I fly fish instead! : ) The video will show how easily the NuCanoe is to use. I love mine and would recommend it to everyone. If you can find a dealer close to you, I would highly recommend that you demo one. I purchased mine from my local fly shop here in Lynchburg, TN. They also have a demo boat that you can try out. If you decide to visit here and demo one, let me know and I will join you with mine and we can fish and float the river at the same time. NuCanoe is a sponsor here on FAOL and you will find more videos on there home Web site. In my opinion, the NuCanoe is the greatest fly fishing boat made. It is very stable, easy to paddle with a double bladed paddle and with the swivel seat option, it is just plain relaxing and fun and comfortable.

Check them out.....

Very cool video Warren
    Remember we all live down stream

I have a 12ft NuCanoe and it works really great for standup fishing...you can use a pushpole or the paddle works pretty good while standing and paddling...I am sponsored by NuCanoe and am working on a killer video right now for freshwater tarpon and flats fishing...

They really need to send one down to Dacula for the summer, if I can remain relatively dry they can declare it klutz proof.

The NuCanoe is really a great looking boat.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

other than rain I think you will...really good elevation when standing up on the egdes...in all honesty I was a little shocked at how well things have worked out using it so far, very little learning curve no matter how you fish...if anybody wants to test it out while in Miami area let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread