+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011: New Mexico Rising

Default 2011: New Mexico Rising

We kicked the new year off on the Rio Chama and it was cold! I think we started fishing at around 17 degrees. Aside from a slight case of frostnip on my buddy Mike's hand the day was good!

I thought it would be appropriate to kick 2011 off in a tophat...

Best fish of the day...

And plenty more to come...!
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

I continue to love the posts, Buck! It's good that a new year was kicked off in the right way.

When I come to visit my Mom in Santa Fe, may we connect and toss some bugs?

Yes we can!

Just give me a heads up. We fish pretty much every weekend...
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

Thats a great fishing hat in the first pic. Is that a regular or a New Years Day special? Great looking fish in both pics, but the 2d is just a pig.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I did not catch anything exciting that day but I caught quite a few. My buddy's fish was very nice! The colors were vivid. The hat LOL, somebody gave that to me the night before the first. I fished Pecos today and I am going to Chama below El Vado lake tomorrow so I will combine those two trips into one report. The Pecos trips are getting kind of repetitive but I brought the SLR camera out today so I got much better pictures.

Crossing fingers for tomorrow! Breaking in the new Scott G2 9' 5 wt!

Pecos in the winter is always fun. All you need to do is find a section that is not completely frozen then find the deep, slow moving pockets and they will be stacked up in there.

I really love the Pecos Browns. They are so dark and it really sets off the white on the leading edge of the bottom fins.

Here are a few pics from another day on the Pecos:

So I fished Pecos on Saturday and went up to the Chama below El Vado lake on Sunday. I would rather not talk about that trip. It has been a long while since I got skunked. But I have excuses for days LOL!

Isaac managed to get a couple really nice fish. He is called the "Lunker Hunter" though and has a reputation to live up to. Maybe I need to get into this Euro-Nymphing scene.

Well here is a couple of pics of the Chama below El Vado. The water looked really good but the fishing was hard.

Great pics, Buck!

My uncle owns some land on the Pecos. I LOVE that stream! I only wish I could fish it more than once a year.

Keep the great reports and pictures coming.

Having private land on the Pecos is great! I have a couple friends that have stretches at their disposal. They are stocked well and fish up to 27" have been pulled out of those sections. You average fish on the Pecos is going to in the 8-12" range on public sections.

It's a stocker stream for sure but you can still find yourself away from crowds that are slinging bait...

Nice reports and pics. It keeps feeding my addiction for on-stream adventures. Keep 'em coming!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Smile That brown trout ...

... is very dark, indeed, Buck.

Pix of neat places and pretty fishies are hard to beat !!

Is it fair to assume that you are going to keep this thread going all year ?? I hope.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread