+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: guide alignment marks.

Default guide alignment marks.

I've seen on some rod these alignment marks and wonder if I can put them on my rod and cover with whatever the finish is to cover the windings. I would also like to make measurment markings too. 8,15,20". We can and are asked to keep browns between 8 and 15 inches and I want a 20" mark incase someone catches a fish that big I can let them use my rod to measure it.

Notmo,well...it's your rod so make it user friendly.I put alignment dots on mine but haven't done a ruler.

If you use the end of a toothpick,you will find that it holds just enough paint to micro dot the mark.I use plastic model paint that you find in hobby shops and it does fine.If you don't like the way it looks,this paint will come off with a little careful work.Look for light to make a nice line along the blank that will be your alignment.

Being overly precise,I use the same color paint as the lettering.I don't know if adding all this detracts on resale.It wouldn't bother me if the marks are precise.

Later,bd

Gentlemen,
    Since my rods are NOT pieces of art, I type numerals in smallest font on a piece of paper. I then cut out those numerals and affix them in two inch increments from 14 to 22 inches to the rod shaft with my wifes clear nail polish.

Mark
    PS: If over 22" I just guesstimate like bass fishermen " yep, jist bout leben pounds (spit)"
    ------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 03 April 2006).]

I have had good results using nail polish for alignment marks. I took a tooth pick and slightly blunted the end with sand paper, then dipped it into a light colored nail polish. Touching the tooth pick to the rod produces a small dot. Over coating with Sally Hansons Hard as Nails or epoxy rod finish will insure a long lasting mark, however the nail polish alone seems to be holding up well.

Cabela's sells a stick-on clear decal marked with inches that can be placed over the rod butt to turn it into a ruler.

[This message has been edited by kengore (edited 03 April 2006).]

I use white appliance repair paint...comes in a small bottle with a small applicator brush...I have small dots placed at 16"...20"...24" [the lengths I want to reference]...they've been there for around 30 + - years on my work horse rod...not real aesthetic but not really noticeable...but the white dots are easy to pick up in all kinds of light.

If you use pieces of waterproof tape with the measurements marked on them they can easilly be removed at any time without damaging the rod.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I have rods with factory witness marks for alignment.
    They (the factory) put a coat of finish all the way around the rod over the dot.
    The concept is admirable but if you screw up the marks as Orvis did on a 7/11 Superfine 4 wt I have. The dots are off by about a 1/2 a bubble but after repeated put togethers I know the marks are off and I allow for it.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

The easy answer to the length scale for a rod can be found at the big "C".

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=63797

Alignment dots can be applied with a metallic gold or silver paint pen available at most art supply stores and better rod crafting merchants. As for covering them, that can as complicated as you'd like.
    ( Finishing epoxy, etc. )

Another possibility is to contact the rods manufacturer and ask if they can apply alignment dots ( aftermarket ) for you. From time to time we'd have success with that approach on behalf of inquiring customers ~ It's by no means a lock, but some companies would make the effort for a reasonable sum.

[This message has been edited by Dave E (edited 03 April 2006).]

Just a comment on alignment spots/ marks. Some of my rods have them and some do not. Personally I do not find them particulary useful as when I assemble my rods I grasp them such that I have a guide between my fingers on both hands. As I give the joint a final twist I do so such that the guides are lined up by feel without even looking at them. Just my way of doing it.

Decal Connection has preprinted decals just for alignment of fly rods, as well as everything else. They are not a sponsor of FAOL, but I have had good results from them. They are very reasonably priced.

[url=http://www.decalconnection.com:fb261]www.decalconnection.com[/url:fb261]

~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread