Thread: Gold riibbed hare's ear ~ dry fly (wing testing)

Threaded View

Default Gold Riibbed Hare's Ear ~ Dry Fly (wing testing)

MVC-001F.JPG
    Gray Duck Quill Wing Test #1

I think that the Gray Duck Quill Wing is very striking in the photo.....

Talked with Eric Austin on the internet about wing possibilities, since the turkey biots were not the answer. Eric told me that Starling wing material would work but it was dicey to work with. Also told me that Teal wing hackle would work also, but did not recommend mallard. Eric also mentions duck quill wings, the fly shop had no teal wings to sell.

I bought some matched gray dyed duck quills, splitting them down he middle of the stem, and dress the above patten. I think it is a wee bit long in the length and might need to remove one or two more quill segments to narrow the wings slightly, with the shorter length....

I also did a water tank test on this fly, dropping the fly from a height of 3 feet above the water, and it landed with the wings in the upright vertical position.....collar giving more than enough support.

The tail is another matter, even using the long barbs from a largest rooster hackle on the cape, the tail is not resting on the water surface, and it is not below the water surface, just causing a big indentation in the water surface. Thinking of instead using the stems of from the rooster cape, stripping off all the barbs and using the stems for the tail for a more firm resting on the water surface without a big indentation...

It is not easy trying to make sense of a fly pattern that is over a hundred years old, with terminology that is hard to comprehend. But with the help of the many people I know and respect, I am getting close to a resurrecting this forgotten dry fly, so it will be used on the water as much if not more than the "Adams", which is basically the same type of dry fly, an "Attractor"!

Just as easy to dress as the "Adams".

Also bought some Whiting Gray Hen Hackle, that has narrow width to the hen hackle, and long length. These are sized just on the cape almost ready to use once they are plucked off.

So far I have 6 persons that I feel obliged to give credit to, when I write the article for FAOL, for there advise, and filling in some of the missing peices to the mystery of this fly pattern's history.

~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 01-20-2011 at 03:24 AM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli