A duck hunter friend of mine returned the other day with half a dozen birds and saved me the carcasses after breasting them out. There were at least 3 different varieties and both male and female. I got a bunch of nice flank feathers resembling mallard. Some were darker than mallard. I found that the CDC feathers were pretty small. None larger than an inch or so. The larger CDC came frorm the smaller bird varieties.
Does anyone know where the commercial CDC comes from and what variety of bird?
Also, while I'm here, Does anyone have a good BWO pattern using CDC? I've got a good bit of the small stuff, natural dun colored and abuut the right size and color for BWO's. I know that comercial CDC has been washed in detergent if it is dyed (some claim to add preen oil after processing). Also some people claim that the flotation of CDC comes from the structure of the feather, not the preen oil. My opinion is that the cdc must float better with the oil than without. I concede that the feather structure also plays a part. I'd like some opinions. Facts would be welcome also!