+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I bought an old BOO, now what...

Hybrid View

Default I bought an old BOO, now what...

I found this old boo on craigslist today, the guy wanted 25 bucks for it and i figured it was worth at least that as a decoration. the label says "Japan" "fishing rod" "champion". no idea what weight, I am pretty sure it was a dime store deal from back in the day. the rod is hex shaped, and needs guide/wrap work done. there is one small chip in the tip that I am sure will have to be repaired. I know it's not a high end tool but instead a toy to play with.

What can you tell me about this rod?

Did I get my money's worth?

What do I do now?

Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by hugefish_80 View Post
    What do I do now?
    Sounds like a big headache. You should just sell it to me for $30, and take your $5 profit and buy some more fly tying materials.

All kidding aside, that WOULD be fun to play around with, and you certainly can't go wrong with the price you paid! Might turn out to be your favorite rod one day soon!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I have read that the glues used in the rods made in occupied Japan have not held up well to time. If you attempt to cast the rod it will very likely spit into it's composite strips. It might look good as a decoration in your tying area or just something to practice restoration on before moving on to a fishable rod.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

That was a great buy! I haven't had any trouble with glue coming apart. That one looks like it was not abused so the glue should be in good shape if it isn't delaminating anywhere already. I would refinish and re-wrap and fish the heck out of it! Go a size larger on the guides so modern line will flow through them a bit better is the only change I would make.

Taking a second look at the photos, I'm not sure that even the refinishing is in order.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

check the ferrules,the japanise rods were known for the glue to let go, and check the fit of the male and female,the crome plated brass that was used is noted for cracking,the tapers that the rods were made on leave somthing to be desiered, so dont judge all bamboo by this one,if you want to fix it up go for it,if you have any questions on redoing it let me know,steve

These Japanese rods appeared in the 50s & were brought back by servicemen serving over there. Cheap though they are they were actually quite good as a starter rod. They usually came in a varnished box that contained some garish flies & line. Other than the fly rod many came as combo kits with the other rod a bait casting with a trigger handle & usually about 5-6ft long The rod broke at the handle which could be then reversed to accommodate the different section.Price $25 sounds about right. They crop up onE Bay from time to time & many have been duped into buying what they think is a "good" split cane rod. By all means use it. I had one of them when I was a boy & it caught quite a few trout before it was retired (to the bin)
    Tight Lines
    Last edited by Highlander; 01-18-2011 at 05:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread