+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: multi piece furling boards?

Question multi piece furling boards?

I didn't want to highjack ducksterman's thread about features, so I'll ask this here. What do you use on multpiece boards to put them together? Right now I'm using an 8ft board, but I need to make it at least 2 pieces and probably 3 pieces for storage purposes. But I'm not sure the best way to do it.

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Ooo, great question. My 8 ft board is inconvenient to store too, plus, I'd like to be able to add on to it so that I could make a wee bit longer leader.
    Tim

my furling board is made using pvc caps that I can drop in 1 inch pvc pipes to do the furling on . these are removeable so that when i am done the boards is only about 2 inches tall. Plus if i want to i can add more spaces for changing my taper without remaking the board. we made a buddy of mine's board in the same way except that he lived in an apartment and needed to be able to store it easier. we used a flat hinge on the back so it could fold in half and on the front we used 2 of the little deadbolt slides to lock it out in place when it's in use. now his furling board is only 4 feet long for storage purposes.
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Somewhat similar to mine. Flat hinge in the back, this thingie on the front. Removable pegs (doweling). When folded in half I added a little hook and eye on the side to hold it together. You can see that in the second picture on the far left, near end.

Bet yours isn't nifty green with kewl daisies on it, huh?? Had to do something drastic to keep my board from growing little feet and roaming away (usually a sure bet if I take it to fly tying group!!).
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 01-17-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Jack Hise recently posted a picture of how he has done it...in a reincarnated older thread.

I saw where some have used the window sash locks.

Betty, I think something happened to your board... it's a funny green color. And what did you spill on it that is white and yellow? I am used to seeing my board with the rings on it from my drink glasses, but thats a new one to me...

Heraclitus

Sounds like you friends aren't likely to "borrow" your stuff. Had to make it gaudy enough that they wouldn't want to be seen with it.....or that I wouldn't see it headed out the door if they were inclined!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

i would say that certainly qualifies as "doing something drastic"...

Heraclitus

Default My basic jig consists of two lengths ...

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    I didn't want to highjack ducksterman's thread about features, so I'll ask this here. What do you use on multpiece boards to put them together? Right now I'm using an 8ft board, but I need to make it at least 2 pieces and probably 3 pieces for storage purposes. But I'm not sure the best way to do it.

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    ... of 1/4" oak, one piece 4' x 4" and one piece 4' x 3". They are overlapped and pinned with dowels, and then clamped to a workbench with those handy spring clamps ( not shown ) from Home Depot.

Note the sixth picture in the opening post of the following linked thread.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ne-Leader-Jigs

I can extend the basic jig to 14' by clamping the two basic pieces to the top of the 4' x 8' workbench at the appropriate places. This allows furling up to about 12' 6". Just right for a one piece furled line / leader for a Tenkara rod.

I can reduce the basic jig length by overlapping the boards, pinning and clamping them as necessary for shorter leaders.

John
    The fish are always right.

Jason
    Here's a variation on Betty's method. This is how I put a four piece board togather for the Louisville Fly Fishing Show. It will be for sale at the end of the show.

+ Reply to Thread