+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gurgle Pop question

Cold,

Not sure what the problem is on my end. I cannot get the FOTW to open up. It continues to post this message when I type in Sam's One Bug and hit enter:

The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500
    Most likely causes:
    • The website is under maintenance.
    • The website has a programming error.
    What you can try:

Refresh the page.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

That is the message when I type in "Sam's One Bug" from the "Home Page" here on FAOL. If I just do a Google Search, that link will take me to the pattern as you said, but, I use to be able to use the search window on the FAOL home page after clicking on "Fly Tying". That "shortcut" does not seem to work now.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 01-21-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Cold Guest

Thats probably the site's melty core. The way I did it just avoided using the site's built in search function.

Default Gurgle Pops

Dave, I still tie them the way I wrote up the original instructions (of this take-off of the gurgler) as a FOTW here on FAOL, and don't seem to have the floating problem. That said, I almost always use a size 8 and perhaps that carries a bit more foam than 10 or 12. It does ride low, so perhaps it is just a preference. Also, as long as you don't mind the butt hanging low, just leave a bit more foam for the head (upper lip?) when you cut off the foam strip and finish the fly. That's an idea, anyway.

Peter F

I tyed up a fly using James Smith's instruction and really like the results, I think of it as the Angelina Jolie version as it appear to have two full lips. I can't wait for it to warm up where I can take it for a test drive.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Mine looks a little different I think...because I add a "segment" to help secure the legs in place (I don't need to do that, really...but it looks buggy).

And here's a couple "bluegill poppers" using foam cylinders:

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave, Mighty good looking selection! Just a thought... you might get better flotation on the gurgle pop without that extra segment, as it compresses the foam at that spot. Just a thought. Peter F.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    When using smaller Gurgle Pops for bluegills (like sizes #12 and #10), I have had some that eventually don't float as well as I'd like.
    I know there's a number of folks here that love using Gurglers and Gurgle Pops. Have any of you experienced this? If you coat the foam with something to help it maintain its floatation longer...what do you use?
    Thanks!
    I would first look at the weight of your hooks, are you using heavy wire hooks? Second what other materials are you using? Bucktail is way more buoyant than say marabou. What about chenille, are you using standard chenille or ice chenille? I've never had a problem w/ gurglers getting water logged, I use craft foam almost exclusively, I don't think that coating the foam would gain you much, maybe using more of it might help.

More good tips, Thanks!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread