+ Reply to Thread

Thread: F.M. HALFORD ON TACKLE (part 2) - Neil - January 17, 2011

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default F.M. HALFORD ON TACKLE (part 2) - Neil - January 17, 2011

F.M. HALFORD ON TACKLE (part 2)

As to reels, there is not much to be said. The old-fashioned one has been greatly improved by the more modern pattern with the handle on the revolving plate. There must be a check.

Another great article about what was the the normal method used in fly fishing a 120 years ago, in comparison to today's fly fishing equipment, methods of fly fishing and fly patterns used.

Currently I am attempting to update the "Golden Ribbed Hare's Ear - Dry" fly pattern that fell from grace of the elite dry fly and up stream crowd back then, because it worked for just about all hatches of different species of may flies. Move over "Adams", if I am successful with this revised fly pattern (stay as true to the original materials as possible) there just might be a rebirth of the "Golden Ribbed Hare's Ear" as a dry fly to give the "Adams" some friendly competition on the waters.

Just because something is old, does not mean it does not work!

I have a old South Bend Fly Rod that was stored away by someone, for over 50 years, for a lack of a silk fly line. Thanks to Cortland for their new "Sylk" Fly Line, the South Bend is again singing its song, as the line and fly are cast over the water to the fish! ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread