+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Daughter's First Fly Tying Session

Default My Daughter's First Fly Tying Session

My daughter Alex (six years old) this afternoon, spending a bit of quality time at the vise with her very proud father.

nighthawk Guest

She is a sweet heart!

Very cool.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

It's amazing how much concentration young kids have at the vise. It's like they have a deep desire to please themselves and their teachers. Kerry, I remember a picture of your grand daughter watching you tie a fly at your vise. Both your pictures are priceless.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

What a lovely little lady. Look out trout! Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

please tell us who had more fun, you or your daughter?
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Hi Jeff,

That is so neat! Our daughters are grown, married, and have kids of their own, and the wife and I are enjoying our grandkids a huge amount.

Maybe someday I will have a picture of one of the grandkids at my vise. My kids were not interested in fly fishing or fly tying, even though I tried. The younger liked to fish, but had no desire to fly fish. With grandkids, two of them boys, there is hope!

Regards,

Gandolf

@Wes: Boy, it'd be tough to say who had more fun. I'll have to tie with her more and get back to you.

My daughter has been exposed to fishing and the outdoors from a very early age. I took her on her first fishing trip to the local river when she was four years old, equipped with a Disney Princess bait fishing rod/reel and her own tackle box which I let her decorate beforehand with stickers and sequins (Daddy looks so manly carrying that for her). We've also gone hiking on a nearby wooded bike path and spent time in a few of our local parks, trying to identify plants and looking for animal tracks. On those trips, she carries a "Woods Journal" I gave her so she can draw what she sees.

I'm pretty sure a lot of her enthusiasm comes from getting to spend time with me. On these trips she is clearly the center of Daddy's attention and we have to talk about everything we see (her insistence). But a big part of it, I think, is that I've tried to instill in her the idea that the outdoors is the world's largest classroom, and no matter how much you know, you'll learn something new when you turn over the next rock. Even in our backyard, we've gone out and turned over rocks to see what's there and talk about it. She plays "The Great Explorer" and I'm a reporter documenting her latest discoveries.

As for fly tying, Alex is really into craft-type things. A couple of years ago we made a "Crafts Box", which is just this Rubbermaid thing that I had her decorate. It's got Elmer's glue, glitter glue, sequins, safety scissors, crayons, markers, ribbons, etc. We dig that out fairly often and she loves making things. Fly tying just combines her love of crafts with the ideas of the outdoors and fishing.

I'm just delighted I have a tying partner!

Blog Entries

AWESOME!! Love the grin on her face!

well jeff that's a wonderful relationship y'all have with alex. from where i stand the aspect of keeping her horizon diverse is most important. thanks for the wonderful insight into that relationship.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

+ Reply to Thread