+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Threads

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

John:

I make no apologies to anyone for my posts. If there is anyone who does not appreciate them they do not have to read them. It is their privilege to continue to paddle around in the pond of ignorant bliss, if they so elect. It is their nickle! There are at least three on this forum who, intellectually, want to understand, to the extent possible, as much as we can about our furled leaders. It is a pity that not everyone has such inclinations.

As I mentioned previously, I too found a wealth of information in the scientific literature, but primarily on multi-strand wire cables, and as you so capably point out, they were full of meaningless, at least to me, tables, charts, and mathematical (calculus) formulae. However, the abstracts of all, though they did not specifically speak to it, seemed to infer that what my friend said, is, in fact true.

I am familiar with Karel's post, but it, like 99% of what I found, only speaks to what goes 'on' within the complex; leaving one to deduce the answer for themselves, relative to the question of the effects on overall tensile strength.

aged sage
    Last edited by aged_sage; 02-17-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Had I know that we would have been overwhelmed such "High Tech Long Winded" responses we have been subjected too I would not have asked for this forum! Furled leaders are fun to make and they work! So can't we just leave it at that?
    Jack,

Now this was a hard one to follow. The main question was "What is your preference in thread" and then it went from: Material (thread), Does it float/sink, Treat unwaxed thread, Tensile strength, Mink & Skunks, Road Kill then back to Tensile Strength. Dang this one about beat me up reading
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Quote Originally Posted by aged_sage View Post
    PS: The parenthetical "e" replaces the umlaut (two dots) over the "U"; and which my keyboard won't accommodate!
    There are lists of alt codes for those here and there on the internet (for example here). Press and hold alt while typing the numbers on the number pad to the right and you get the letter you want. Works on Windoze based systems. For instance, Gu(e)terman would then be G?terman.

(OK, I've tried posting this three times and the forum software keeps changing the letter to a question mark, forget everything I just said)
    Last edited by doftya; 03-14-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: mysterious software glitch
    David

Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go canoeing. -HDT

Flyfishing is a drug. It's addictive, it can be expensive, not many others will understand it, it is possible to get others hooked, and everyone has a favorite place to get their fix, but there's no hangover in the morning (from the fishing at least).

For the most part I preferred furling with Danville's 3/0 waxed monocord (before they discontinued it) and then would soak them in liquid floatant (ie Loon's). Nowadays, though, I only use a clear mono sewing thread to make my furled leaders.

Moscow

This is what I use

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...lon-thread-015

It comes in huge spools, lots of diameters/strengths, and lots of colors. They also have poly threads.

+ Reply to Thread