+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Floating versus Submerged Furled Leaders

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Floating versus Submerged Furled Leaders

This topic has come up any number of times within various threads on furled leaders. Now that we have a Furling Forum, it seems it is time to devote a thread just to this topic.

It's clear from past discussions, that the majority prefer floating leaders for fishing dry flies and all around use, and that a small minority prefer leaders that submerge for all around use.

Personally, I prefer a thread furled leader that submerges for fishing for trout on moving water. My leader material of choice is 210 Danville Flymaster Plus. This material submerges, but does not really sink. It is possible to fish a size 20 dry fly, at least on fairly soft water, with this leader when it is fully submerged - it goes under but it does not sink the fly. On the other end of the spectrum, it is possible to change out to a suitable tippet and fish a couple large weighted nymphs under an indicator with the same exact leader - may not be too pretty sometimes, but it gets the job done.

There are situations where I can see some advantages to a floating leader. Maybe a good discussion here will lead us all to be more flexible in how we approach making and fishing furled leaders.

John
    The fish are always right.

Most of our fishing here is wet flys. For a fast deep sinking leader Berkley "Transition Gold/Red" 4# test fluorocarbon has proven to be the best to date. To avoid the line twist you get when swinging wet flys I have been adding a small swivel to the tippet end

When I do get the chance to fish dry flys I use Uni 6/0 and float it.

I understand your method and hope to learn a little more of it when Kaboom1 and I get out your way this September.

Blog Entries

Jack, I like the swivel addition. Does it have much effect on how the leaders turn over.

Ed

I fish mostly still water for bass, crappie, bluegill, and whatever else I can get to bite. I o most of this fishing with a leader furled out of #4 seagaur fluorocarbon. This acts a bit like a mini sink tip and really helps to drag my unweighted streamers down in the water column with out giving them the action of a leaded fly.
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

I have had much better luck with mono than any threads for floating (dry fly) leaders. Is that typical?
    John Straight
    JLS Custom Rods
    Cassadaga,NY

When you say "Better Luck" do you mean longer drifts or better turn over for large fly's?

Blog Entries

I don't care how the leader is made, but when you fish dry flies there is a huge advantage to a leader (and line for that matter) that float as compared to a leader (or line) that sinks. The Pick Up. A major advantage to dry flying is the ability to pick up 20 or 30 or 40 + feet of line and recast in a single motion. If your leader (or line) has submerged then that creates a whole lot more drag on your pick up and will kill a good long line pick up. Then you have to strip in more line thus taking more time plus making a couple false casts, and your fly just spent less time on the water, so a reduced chance of catching a fish. A submerged line will create a larger disturbance in the water when you are pulling it out, hence a greater chance of spooking a fish.

Notice I keep saying (and line) because if you don't keep your line clean it will sink. Many fly fishers do not keep a clean line. You should clean it every morning, give it a good stretch to take the coil memory out of it and treat it with a line cleaner/conditioner.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Now, get out there and try it out, meaning, get out and fish.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Holy Crap John, I remember giving you a furled leader a couple of years ago. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein. LOL

And Lew, I have also used mud for many years...did you know Orvis sells a cool little tub of some very nice Mud?

+ Reply to Thread